Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Detailing questions

golfjpc

Corvette
2014 Premier Edition Lime Rock Green
I'm new to CAC and have several detailing questions. My car is a 95 white roadster with 25k miles. The eninge compartment needs some cleaning up - nothing major, just dirt and grime. I want to be able to show the car but not "concourse" condition.

First, what should I use to clean rubber hoses and front wheel wells, etc? Basically, I want to clean off everything under the hood. Second, what should I use for cleaning/moisturizing all weatherstrips of the car? Third, my white convertible top has some greasy looking areas - not as white as it could be. Any suggestions?

Appreciate any suggestions - Thanks - Later, JPC

Hi golfjpc,

First of all, welcome to the Corvette Action Center!! You're sure in the right place!

Secondly, although Hubby and I show our two Corvettes regularly, we do not "detail" the engines, per se. I know others do so I know they'll jump in with suggestions for you. On the weatherstripping, we use 303 Aerospace Protectant for protection against damaging UV rays, plus it leaves a very nice sheen to vinyl and rubber. We're very happy with it and highly recommend this for a lot of detailing.

If you have a white vinyl top, I think you'll benefit from using plain old household cleaner, Soft Scrub with Bleach! Yeah...nothing more complicated than that!! We use it regularly on our two white tops when they need a bit of perking up. Wet roof, apply Soft Scrub and scrub with a brush. I leave it on for a little while if the top is particularly dingy. One suggestion...be sure to thoroughly rinse car after applying Soft Scrub which, when it dries, can leave fine white powder in grooves. Doesn't damage the car but should be rinsed off. Repeat as needed.

Again, welcome!!

Elaine

welcome to CAC.

on my dads 2000 I will normally take a shop rag ( the red ones that dont absorb water unless they are soaked) and after I finish washing the car I will get a clean one of them and soak it in the wash bucket. then I ring most of the water out (there needs to be some water in the cloth) and wipe down everything, the shop clothes really pick up dirt well as long as they are moist. then if i want the fuel rail covers and other plastic parts to be "cleaner" I will take some of the armor all ( i know not the best but I can only use what we got) and wipe all the plastic parts down, to give them a shine.

just the way I do it

You can find a lot of info here on how to do just what you are looking to do. Everybody seems to have their own preferences and its always best to try a few things before you settle on your favorite method.

I would stay away from the shop rags though. The "red" rags that come from an industrial laundry are not the things to use for cleaning anything you will want to look nice. First thing is the harsh soaps and chemicals that are used to wash them. Those chemicals will end up on your car. Second, the rags will quite often have metal chips stuck in the cloth. You have to remember they were probably used somewhere else and sent back in to be laundered a number of times before you ever saw them.

Have fun! John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom