Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dif Cover Tabs

76Stingray

Corvette
1997 Arctic White Coupe
Discovered that the two rear tabs on my diff cover that hold the rear spring are both broken. It rides and drives fine, but this obviously needs to be addressed. Due to financial and time limitations, I'd rather wait until I tuck her away for the winter before I start this project. That would also allow me to upgrade some rear end parts (spring, shocks, mounting hardware, etc...). Will I cause more serious damage by driving her with these broken tabs for the balance of the summer? I just drive it around to shows, cruise nights, etc... Nothing long distance or under severe conditions.

If the rear ears on the rear cover are broken (like the photo below), that will increase the stress loads on the front edge of the spring, which isn't a good thing; whoever installed the rear spring last probably torqued the four spring plate bolts with the suspension hanging free - that's what breaks them. I'd get it fixed.

:beer

If the rear ears on the rear cover are broken (like the photo below), that will increase the stress loads on the front edge of the spring, which isn't a good thing; whoever installed the rear spring last probably torqued the four spring plate bolts with the suspension hanging free - that's what breaks them. I'd get it fixed.

:beer
Thanks! That's exactly what mine looks like right now. Do have any recommendations for the best place to get quality parts to do the job. I know I've seen kits in my MidAmerica catalog for this job.

You can buy a used GM cover for about $50 or a new HD cover for about $110. The new ones are all made by Muskegon so you can shop around and get the same part. The last one I sold was $110. Ebay has them as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom