Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Diff Side Yoke Bearings

68Roadster

Corvette
'68 White Vert '05 Silverado SS
...anybody got a good way to remove these puppies short of disassembling the differential??

All contributions will be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks,
Cee

Nope - they have to be driven out from the inside, after removing the diff carrier assembly; no way to grab the inner end of the bearing from the outside with the diff installed - the inner end of the bearing bottoms out against the carrier side bearing shims.

:beer

Yeah, as John said, you have to have the differential out. The bearings are Torrignton # BH2212 don't use the bearings with half the rollers. These come in some of the rebuild kits. In fact, I have several new ones here from recent diff rebuilds,if you do want to use them they're yours. I would spent the $5 for the Torringtons though.

Not to be argumentative but I just don't understand why you can't use a bearing puller to grab these bearings and pull them from the outside. I have inspected the bore with a small mirror and the bearings are not pushed in so far that they bottom out on anything. Please see the attached picture. With regards to the bearing type, I have new TIMKEN ones to go back in. Any pro's or con's there??

Please review the pic and let me know what ya think. Thanks for the advice!

Cee

I tried 3 times to respond lets see if this time works?

Ok looks good. I'm tired of typing this response!

Since you must have the rear end out what is the problem replacing the bearings? If you're not sure how to go about this check the paper I wrote at www.corvettefaq.com search for differential rebuilding.

As for the bearings, I only use Torrignton BH2212 for the side yokes. The bearing I was referring to is made in the USA by INA #SCH2212 it has 1/2 the rollers as the Torrington's.I didn't know Timken made the yoke bearings,if they are full rollers you should be ok. I use Timkens on the pinion and carrier and for the front & rear wheel bearings.

Let me know how you make out

Finally removed the bearings using a small gear puller.....popped out fairly easy after a little engineering...
coupeman....took your advice and purchased some Torrington's today.....full complement rollers vs. the Timken's with about half the rollers

Thanks for the input.....

Good to go, also watch the yoke seals. I had some that didn't fit right. NAPA has the correct ones if you have trouble.

Interesting on the puller for the bearings, I guess you left the carrier in place?

Yup....just enuff room underneath the bottom of the bearing to slip the claws underneath.....ran a steel bar across the face and pulled against that until the bearing hit it. Had to raise the bar up a bit to continue pulling it up. I'm gonna manufacture a puller for these things. I don't see how it would be any easier from the inside, I didn't want to pull the guts out if this thing just to change the bearings.
I have new seals which will go back in tonite after I drive those new Torrington's in.....thanks to you and John for your input.....I'd like to drive this thing before the summer is up!

Glad to help, this is the first time I heard of that way to install those bearings,learn something new everyday! Enjoy the car!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom