Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Differences between 70, 71 &72's

aja37

Corvette
1970 Midnight Metalic Blue
Hi, it's been a long time since I posted anything here. 1st I like to say I'm sorry that I didn't make it to the hospitally Tent on time at CARLISLE's to meet some of the menbers here. BUT WASN"T IT A GREAT TIME anyway!!!!!!!! Our second time there, first time was about 10 years ago when we got our vette. Next year we plan on going all week, we missed tooooo much this year.
MY QUESTION is simply this, we own a 70 midnight metalic Blue, 350cu 350hp and I'm pretty good at seeing the differences between most years. Problem that I have is that I cannot distinguish the difference between the 70, 71 & 72's. If anybody can tell me what to look for I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks and KEEP ON WAVING!!!! :confused :CAC

The most visible difference in the 70-72 models is the front lights. On the 70 the front turn signal light has two screws at the top. On the 71 there are also two more screws at the bottom. On both of these years, the front turn signal is clear. On the 72 the front turn signal is amber or orange color and still has the two upper and two lower screws holding the panel in. Of course, all bets are off if someone has changed the turn signal panel.

You can also get a quick glance at the driver's windshield pillar and look at the VIN tag. Starting in 72 they went to a VIN sequence that included a code for the type of engine. The sequence starts out 1Z37L2S. The third character is a 6 for convertible and 3 for coupe. The fifth character is L for LT1, W for base engine, and K for 454.
Gary

I won't swear to this but I think there was a color difference in gage faces ... earlier ones had green markings ... later had white. Again, I won't swear but I think white started in 72. Someone correct me if need be.
JACK:gap

one I can answer

Ok,

First of the front parking lamps. (as stated already).

Now for some other clues.

Fibre Optics. None on the '72.

Factory Alarm is optional on 70 and 71. Standard on 72.

This means if you don't see the alarm lock in the center of the back.... its not a 72.

Gauges,

The 72 has white "letters" on the gauges. According to the sales material the 72 has a "new" blue hint to the lighting. Trouble is I have a 72 and don't know what they are talking about! It doesn't look blue to me.

The gauges have blue housings which you can't see. Perhaps that changes the hue when the lights are on? I've never seen a 70 or 71 at night so I can't say.

The 72-74 has a different clock also. I don't know exactly how its different though.

So I guess that clears up the 72 part. Can anyone else till the 70 and 71 apart?

-Gooney0

The front grills on the 70 are different from the 71-72.The 71-72 have exposed screws through the chrome to hold the grill on.The 70 did not.The 70 had some one year only paint colors(eg Corvette bronze).The 70 had A 5port washer nozzle on the wiper motor.

I think the fenders in early 70 had no flares but were changed to the flared fenders of the 71 midyear . Cliff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom