Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Differences between a Coupe and a Roadster

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
I was just looking at the specs page of a '73 and they were talking about Coupes and Roadsters. What are the differences between the two types of Vettes? Thanks.

Stallion.........I'm sure someone else will probably give you a more definitive answer but a Roadster is the Convertible.

Ken said:
Damn, and it's right there at the top of the General Tech forum--marked "Important": A SUBJECT OFTEN DISCUSSED: Roadsters vs. Convertibles. ;)

_ken :w

I'm sorry, ken, I didn't see that. Next time I'll search the forums (including the tops) before I ask a question such as this where the information might be apparent. Again, sorry about that. :cry

Ken, you have to take it easy on us newbies... it takes a while to digest all the info available out here!!
:)

By those definitions...the C4 and C5 convertibles, which are quite often called roadsters even by Chevrolet, are incorrect. As is hardtop convertible as new technology has given us exactly that, a hardtop which is retractible into a compartment or the trunk...looks like the definitions need to be updated.

LT1Vettepilot said:
...looks like the definitions need to be updated.

Oh yeah, change the dictionary. :L

Yo, Stallion and Tammy, I didn't mean to sound like a grouch or anything. Guess I should polish my act or get outta here, eh? :eyerole

Hey Ken,
No problems here, but maybe I've just gotten used to you!
You're actually pretty tolerant.
:)
Tammy

You know what? I just realized I screwed this whole post up right from the start; TR asked about the difference between COUPES and convertibles, aka roadsters, not what the differences were between convertibles and roadsters! I'm so embarrassed I could just cry. :cry

Yeah, right! :L

I wasn't sure if the words were interchangeable or not. So, what are the differences? :D Thanks again and I didn't think you sounded grouchy, ken. :)

I want it like this:

Coupé - roof is not retractable
Convertible - soft retractable roof
Roadster - no roof at all (i.e AC Cobra)

Thanks for the information! If I want a Convertable, I would have to go '75 or below, I read. Because they didn't put Convertables back on the market until the C4 '86.

I think I would prefer a Convertable, but I'm not going to be picky. :D

Stallion said:
Thanks for the information! If I want a Convertable, I would have to go '75 or below, I read. Because they didn't put Convertables back on the market until the C4 '86

You may also notice that when GM finally brought the convertibles back, that it was the first time in Corvette history that the convertible cost more than the non-convertible model. All '75 and prior always cost LESS than the non-vert version.

:D Yes, I noticed that when I was looking at the Model Center. I was very curious as to why it was like that. Interesting...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom