Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Digital Dash to Analog Help

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Well I got rammy and after my digital dash went chinese on me I hit it a little to hard (POS I hate that thing).

The glass behind the tach shattered.

SO....

Im going to pull it ALL out and intalling new analog gauges.

(Prbly the Autometer Classic Gauges with cream backing and chrome rings)

Now I have this website to help me.

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/replace.shtml

But I need a complete wiring schematic of the digi-dash so I know whats what and to actually get this done in under a week.

If anyone else has done this mod please help me.

Thanks

YES! Thats what I needed.

Now how do I carry over a ODO of somekind.

I would like to put a odometer in as well and if I can put the original miles back on.

I never even discussed it with the DMV. From what I understand, all you have to do is sign an affidavit stating the mileage is not accurate. I'm not even so sure that you have to estimate any kind of mileage when you sell it (if you ever sell it). Caveat Emptor! ;)

As for the odometer, shouldn't you new speedometer have an odometer built in? Mine does.

4889_Speedo.jpg

4894_Tach.jpg

CCW_061703_08.JPG

082103_dash_01.JPG

As an aside, Ken. I finally checked your web site. Great! and, thanks for the hard work and links.

Actually thats just fine. I'll take a photo of the original gauge (plus keep the digi-dash) for referal's

Now Ken I HAVE to ask if your gauges have a light in them for night driving!!?

Autometer has Lunar and ProComp gauges that look "lit up" in they're catalog but Im actually considering the Ultra-Lite Model which is orange needle,white faced. I chose it simply because of the 5'' METRIC speedo. But if the thing doesn't have a light in it well...

Ken said:
I never even discussed it with the DMV. From what I understand, all you have to do is sign an affidavit stating the mileage is not accurate. I'm not even so sure that you have to estimate any kind of mileage when you sell it (if you ever sell it). Caveat Emptor! ;)

As for the odometer, shouldn't you new speedometer have an odometer built in? Mine does.

4889_Speedo.jpg

:( Speedometer only goes to 160 mph :(

BigRed said:
... gauges have a light in them for night driving?
Yes, plus they come with colored rubber caps you can put over the bulbs to change the color of the lighting.

_ken

Ken so far everything seems in order but can you tell me the exact size you used for the smaller gauges.

I see that your tach and speedo are the 5" same as the ones I chose.

And does anyone have any Idea where I can find that wood grain dash material in a solid sheet so I can cut it myself? I noticed on mine it has a 3M backing paper on it but Im not sure thats where it came from.

If anyone else had any ideas for making my dash look cool please post em!

Probably nothing I might try to fix it for resale or simply just unload it.

What did you have in mind?

I'm not sure if anyone is still watching this thread...but to do that changeover with the dash...the previous owner changed my engine to carburation, not using the computer or TPI...my guess is for me to have any readings at the dash I would need to go back to TPI, because its that computer sending the signals?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom