Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DIM CLUSTER LIGHTS

WONKABOY

WELL, I FINALLY HAD MY CAR TUNED , WIRES , ROTOR , AND PLUGS , (DID NOT NEED CAP ) SPEEDO IS FIXED ( BY PASSED CRUISE CONTROL ) FIXED ELECTRIC RADATOR FAN , ( NOW RUNS AT 210 ) I GUESS I GOT THE MOTOR OUT OF THE WAY , RUNS VERY SMOOTH AND I'M HAPPY , NEXT IS THE SUSPENTION , I GOT 4 DELCO SHOCKS COMING FROM EBAY $108.00 WITH THE SHIPPING , HERE IS A PROBLEM , MY CLUSTER LIGHTS ARE NOT BRIGHT VERY LOW AT NIGHT , I SHOULD HAVE HAD THEM CHECK THE BULBS WHEN THEY DID THE SPEEDO FIX , HAS ANYBODY HAD THE SAME DIM DASHBOARD LIGHTS AND WHAT WAS THE FIX?

Thanks Rick

Rick,

When you pull the lights button for the runninglights and dim light the dashlight also goes on. But you can also turn the light button to brighten or dim your interior lights (dash included) So try to turn the lights button to max and see if there is any change :)

Groeten Peter.

dim lights

Peer81 said:
Rick,

When you pull the lights button for the runninglights and dim light the dashlight also goes on. But you can also turn the light button to brighten or dim your interior lights (dash included) So try to turn the lights button to max and see if there is any change :)

Groeten Peter.

yes, like most other cars if you turn it gets brighter , it is all the way turned still dim , always was , are there small bulbs behind there? also the center cluster is dim too , both area's are evenly dim too..:eyerole

There are bulbs behind the center console and the rest of your rpm and mph cluster. But normal bulbs do it or they don't, they don't go dimming in a collective sense. I would first try to find out if the dimmer on the lights button is still working properly. Good luck!

Groeten Peter.

DIM

Peer81 said:
There are bulbs behind the center console and the rest of your rpm and mph cluster. But normal bulbs do it or they don't, they don't go dimming in a collective sense. I would first try to find out if the dimmer on the lights button is still working properly. Good luck!

Groeten Peter.

Yes , my dimmer definaly works , maybe i have certain bulbs out? how many are there?

Thanks Rick

:w Rick,

WHEN I REDID THE INTERIOR... I REPLACED ALL THE BULBS IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WITH 5WATT BULBS. STOCK BULBS ARE 2WATT #194.

THE 5WATT WERE FROM ONE OF THE AFTERMARKET PARTS HOUSE'S.. THE PART NUMBER OF THE 5WATT BULB IS #2825. I THINK THERE ARE 5 OR 6 BULBS IN INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. TO BE SURE I'D HAVE TO LOOK AT MY ASSEMBLY MANUAL.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A GM SHOP MANUAL FOR YOUR 1981 #ST-364-81 AND AN ASSEMBLY MANUAL FOR 1981 ;)

GOOD LUCK :upthumbs

Bud

DIM BULBS

Rare81 said:

WHEN I REDID THE INTERIOR... I REPLACED ALL THE BULBS IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WITH 5WATT BULBS. STOCK BULBS ARE 2WATT #194.

THE 5WATT WERE FROM ONE OF THE AFTERMARKET PARTS HOUSE'S.. THE PART NUMBER OF THE 5WATT BULB IS #2825. I THINK THERE ARE 5 OR 6 BULBS IN INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. TO BE SURE I'D HAVE TO LOOK AT MY ASSEMBLY MANUAL.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A GM SHOP MANUAL FOR YOUR 1981 #ST-364-81 AND AN ASSEMBLY MANUAL FOR 1981 ;)

Bud

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO , WAS YOURS REALLY DIM , AND DID THE BULB CHANGE REALLY BRIGHTEN UP THE AREA (S) ?

Thanks Rick

dim lights

Rare81 said:

Bud

Hi, did you have to drop the steering wheel to get behind the cluster for the bulb change? My Ecklers book does give the wattage ,and also your part # was not listed in the book , Do you recall what aftermaket co you got them from? Please help because i want to put in the 5 watts , is it very bright now verses your old ones? i also have the shop manual on cd rom so it should help Thanks Rick

Thanks rick

I didn't have to drop the steering column to get the bezel off. Some folks say it is required, but I found it very easy to get the bezel off and the speedo and tach out to get to the lights.

The stock number for ALL the lights can be found at the L81VetteRegistry just click on "Tech Center" then on Maintenance for the drop down menu for the bulb numbers and specs ;)

I noticed a big difference at night, but it still isn't as bright as todays cars, but at least it got bright enough to read the trip milage odometer. I wouldn't go too much larger than 5 watt... the 5 watt generate more heat than the stock lights and the higher wattage would create even more heat.

Also clean the plastic around the lights before putting the speedo and tach back in place. I've known folks that have painted the bluish plastic bright white to help get better lighting.

Bud

DIM BULBS

Rare81 said:

I didn't have to drop the steering column to get the bezel off. Some folks say it is required, but I found it very easy to get the bezel off and the speedo and tach out to get to the lights.

The stock number for ALL the lights can be found at the L81VetteRegistry just click on "Tech Center" then on Maintenance for the drop down menu for the bulb numbers and specs ;)

I noticed a big difference at night, but it still isn't as bright as todays cars, but at least it got bright enough to read the trip milage odometer. I wouldn't go too much larger than 5 watt... the 5 watt generate more heat than the stock lights and the higher wattage would create even more heat.

Also clean the plastic around the lights before putting the speedo and tach back in place. I've known folks that have painted the bluish plastic bright white to help get better lighting.

Bud[/quote

I went to the tech center and could not find maintenance?

Rick,

Once you click on "Tech Center" at the top of the page on The L81VetteRegistry you'll see on the left hand side (column) a menu.... Click on Maintenance and you see a dropdown menu with Light Bulbs as one of the submenu items ;)

Bud

DIM LIGHTS

Rare81 said:
Rick,

Once you click on "Tech Center" at the top of the page on The L81VetteRegistry you'll see on the left hand side (column) a menu.... Click on Maintenance and you see a dropdown menu with Light Bulbs as one of the submenu items ;)

Bud

SORRY , BUT I DON'T SEE NOTHING ON THE LEFT , YES IT DROPS DOWN AND I CLICKED ON EVERY ONE AND NOTHING ON BULB SIZE? I DO NOT SEE THE WORD MAINTENANCE AND I'M AT 81 REGISTRY?

THIS IS NOT THE L81VETTEREGISTRY, THIS IS THE CORVETTE ACTION CENTER, AND WE ARE IN THE L81VETTEREGISTRY "FORUMS" SECTION OF THE CORVETTE ACTION CENTER.

YOU CAN GET TO THE L81VETTEREGISTRY IN MY PREVIOUS POST BY CLICKING ON THE LINK FOR THE L81VETTEREGISTRY,.... OR JUST CLICK ON THESE FOLLOWING WORDS: Light Bulbs ;)

Bud

DIM LIGHTS

Rare81 said:
THIS IS NOT THE L81VETTEREGISTRY, THIS IS THE CORVETTE ACTION CENTER, AND WE ARE IN THE L81VETTEREGISTRY "FORUMS" SECTION OF THE CORVETTE ACTION CENTER.

YOU CAN GET TO THE L81VETTEREGISTRY IN MY PREVIOUS POST BY CLICKING ON THE LINK FOR THE L81VETTEREGISTRY,.... OR JUST CLICK ON THESE FOLLOWING WORDS: Light Bulbs ;)

Bud

Now i got it , i had to go to the log in page , thanks so much , i hate to complicate things , by the way i went to a a friends body shop today where they do meticulous work , said $4,000 for original paint , $5,000 any color , these guys use a magnifying glass to look for cracks!! I want to go with the 96 torch red , and then also change the interior to red or black , he said the car would be for show no problem , they will take off everything to do the job , including bumpers , locks , door handles , mirrors , all trim , etc. and the paint will be in all the door jams and under the hood, what i have heard of this father and son team are good things , they just bought an $80,000 paint booth , the son drives a viper and the old man has owned 7 vettes , now drives a convertible benz, money money money , that's all it takes i guess,
i am driving my car to Carlise to check out some paint jobs, i guess that's the best place to see a new paint job on a vette? He said I have a nice straight body , but also pointed out there was paint work done probably many years ago by the drivers door , it is a little wavy , he said the car will look like brand new , nice straight body , it's all in the prep he said , should i go with another color? he said white , or yellow too , no yellow i had a 94 so i want to stay away, white would be nice with a red interior too.

OKAY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom