Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

dirty wheels

Shelly Gracey

Corvette
81 dark blue metalic
I have an 81 w/slotted disc wheels. They have 26 years of wax and road grime. What is safe to clean them with and a good wax? Comon u detail masters, help me out! Shelly

:w Shelly,

You can try to clean them on the car, but I would recommend taking them off one at a time and setting up an area to wash and inspect them. If they still have the protective coating or partial protective coating, then I'd strip the aluminum clean. I used Acetone to clean the plastic coating off, others have used other things. I'm sure others will chime in with their best way to strip the coating off.

Next you need to use a good Aluminum Polish, here again, many different types out there, I use "Mothers Aluminum" Cleaner/Wax. Before finishing the wheel I taped the outside then painted the slots. They are a satin or semi-gloss black, but I used the "Hammered Black" paint on them. Then one last coat of Mothers and back on the car. On to the next wheel (actually I had Rare up on Jack Stands and did all the wheels at one time ;) )

I'll do a search on Aluminum Wheels and get back with a couple of links to some older threads with some great advice too ;)

Bud

EDIT: Add links:
First Link
Second Link

Like Bud mentioned, (happy) "Mother's" (day) aluminum polish. I did mine using a "power ball". I prefer the smaller one with the long extension rod vice the fat one with the short rod. You can get one at Advance Auto Parts. Use an electric drill. The battery powered ones just don't cut it for this job.

I polished the clear coat off of our wheels with rubbing compound. I use Mothers and a buffing wheel on a die grinder to keep them looking good. I bought a Power Ball a while back. I haven't used it yet though.

Tom

Nice!
Every once and a while I get the chance to show my polished rims :D
Enjoy.

IMG_1684.JPG

Groeten Peter

Thanks Mike! Sorry i took so long to get back. I have the same stuff and the same car! Camel interior, how bout you. I got some Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel cleaner, haven't tried it yet but Meguiar's has been the best overall for me. Shelly

Shelly, I,also am a beliver of the Mothers WITH the use of the power ball (I found the mini with the extension to work best on the wheels). with a corded drill not cordless,as others also have made mention of.

My alloy wheels on my 81 were not bad,but after using the mothers,with the aid of the powerball, they now look like new. Amazing.

I should mention,at least in my case after using the mothers, the wheels seemed like they had a little film on them. But I just hand applied some Meguires polish to the wheels and wiped them down,and the results were outstanding.

Later, Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom