Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DIY Tire balancer...Opinions?

AnytownUSA

Corvette
1994 Black on Black 6spd
What do you folks think about the "at-home-diy" tire balancers? Easy…I’m not thinking of using it for the vette. I was just wondering about the other daily drivers. I have a buddy with one of these balancers and it’s just a hub on a bearing assembly that balances the tire statically as you add weight. Y’all have probably seen these before but this was a first for me. Tire balancing is the only thing I can’t do at home – as far as routine stuff – and I thought this might be a simple solution to that. It’s similar to this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39741

What exactly are the new computerized balancers doing that this can’t? It seems like the newer models just tell you how much weight to add and where to put it, but I could do that visually with this thing. He uses it on all his cars and his kid’s cars. I just want to make sure it’s a viable option. It’s not too expensive even if I only use it once every couple of years (which won’t happen once my buddies hear I’ve got it).

I am not opposed to paying for balancing, I just hate the battle I always have getting some idiot to put my wheels on by hand so I don’t ruin my rotors. Plus, I would have the satisfaction of being able to do something else for myself. And I don't like other people touching my car. But, if I can't get it right using something like this I don't even want to try it.

Any thoughts?
Mike Frost

Mike,

After he retired, my grandfather used one like that all through the 70's and early 80's to balance tires at his nephew's service station. I think those were what everyone used until the spinners came out. And my neighbor uses one on all of his cars including his tube-framed 571 powered Beretta drag car.

They won't tell you where the tire/wheel is out of balance side to side, just where on the radius it's out of balance. I'm no expert so I can't say how important that is.

Hey Eric,

If the neighbor uses it on a dragster, that would imply it would be good enough for my drivers as they won't turn anywhere near those wheel speeds. Unless his Beretta is running on three cylinders!

I had never thought of an out of balance condition across the width of the tire. No this little thing wouldn't be any help with something like that. It seems since the wheel, tire and weights are spinning concentrically around the hub that side-to-side wouldn't matter, but like I said I've never considered that before...back to the think tank....

Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't use a static balancer. Why go backwards when the technology exists for a better result? ;shrug

Ken,
I appreciate your input and that's what I'm asking, it it better or just faster? What does the new system have over the old other than it tells you exactly where to hang it and how much - taking the thought out of it - quickly and the first time?. I don't understand how you can dynamically balance a one component system ie tire/wheel. I fully get the importance of dynamically balancing engine internals, etc. I'm not really sure you can even call it dynamic balancing when it's just one component. The accuracy may be better with the new machines in a production environment, but I'm willing to take the extra time/effort to get it right if it's mine. If it is possible to get it right with this tool.

Maybe I'll just take a jack and torque wrench with me so I can put the wheel back on the car correctly in the parking lot. I was trying to avoid that. It's just a hassle to take the wheels or car in and come home and remount the wheel on the hub. I agree with you though, I'd rather have a computerized balancer...now if I could just talk the little lady into one. Hmmm...

Static balancing uses a single weight plane, and only address "up-and-down" imbalance, whereas dynamic balancing uses two weight planes; this eliminates "up-and-down" and "side-to-side" imbalance.

The Hunter GSP9700 for instance, is both a balancer and a vibration control system. It is also a Road Force Measurement analyzer for passenger car and light truck tire/wheel assemblies. ForceMatching™, a procedure that matches the high point or stiff spot in the tire with the lowest spot in the rim, can make the wheel "round when rolling" and will solve most vibration problems.

On the Hunter GSP9700, each tire/wheel assembly is tested for the amount of dynamic/static imbalance and road force. The GSP9700 simulates a road test, with a unique load roller which applies up to 1400 lbs of force against the rotating assembly. The roller measures the loaded runout of the assembly (deflection while under load) and automatically recommends corrections when needed.

The GSP9700's technology eliminates many of the time consuming, subjective and often non-productive manual measurements previously used to diagnose and repair ride disturbance concerns.

A few years ago, I was wandering through the pit area at Michigan Speedway when the Champ cars were running there.

I noticed that in the Firestone tire area, they were using a bubble balancer.

Go figure .... Ron ... :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom