Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: DIY Tranny fluid change in an automatic

Pinky

Corvette
1998 Torch Red Convertible
I've looked at a bunch of sites and am getting conflicting information on whether or not you can change the ATF yourself in an automatic C5.

Has anyone here done it, if so what are the steps? Should the car be running or not when draining the fluid?

;help

The best I can do Pinky, is check the FSM when I get home from work. Hopefully someone will chime in here before then.

In some ways, changing the fluid in a C5's automatic is just like doing it in any other auto. You drop the pan, change the filter and pan gasket then refill the trans.

Only difference is that, since there's no trans dip stick tube with which to fill the trans, you have to refill like you do with a manual. There is a fill plug on the side of the trans which you remove. Through that hole you run your nozzle or tube or whatever it is you use to move the fluid from its container into the trans. When the fluid drips over the bottom of the fill plug hole, the trans is full.

The final fluid level has to be checked with the engine running, trans in neutral or park and the fluid warm.

The factory service manual covers the procedure in detail.

THANKS! Mr. Pinky has a project this weekend! :happyanim:

To drop the pan it take 5 quarts, a dry unit takes 11 + quarts so all you will be doing is taking the sludge out of the pan. GM pan gasket number 8654799, and I believe they have updated their fluid to a new series. GM has a kit that comes with a magnet to be placed in the pan along with the seal for the filter inlet #8663948. The old seal will have to be pulled from the inside of the pump. The new one can be tapped in place with a proper sized deepwell socket. Pan bolts torque to 97 lbs in, fill plug 21 to 23 ft lbs.

Good luck

Make sure the vehicle is level.

Also, the vehicle will more than likely be started for awhile to get the transmission fluid up to the proper temperature, which means when you get under the vehicle to fill / check the fluid level, the very hot exhaust will be close to you.

CG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom