Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do fuel pumps leak oil?

Vref

Corvette
65 Roadster
I got a puddle of oilish stuff under the car its not gas does not have the smell, this is the only thing I can find leaking, Its an original fuel pump. Do these fuel pumps leak oil out of those holes, or is it coming from somewhere else? Also, Is there a place that rebuilds these fuel pumps?
327/350hp
fuel_pump.JPG

You've either got gas leaking past the diaphragm and/or one of the fittings or, more likely, you've got oil leaking around the gasket where the fuel pump mounts on the motor. Or a combination of both. Try tightening the four bolts that hold the fule pump on; they're two different sizes 1/2" on top and 3/8" on bottom (or 9/16" on top and 1/2" on bottom, I forget)

Any local auto shop can rebuild it for you or you can buy a kit from any of the Corvette parts retailers.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

Good Luck,

Bernie O.

Whatever it is, you need to remove the pump and it looks like it is time to replace it anyway. When you pull that pump off, it's a crap shoot as to where the cam shaft lobe that the pushrod rides on will be positioned. A big fat push rod rides on a camshaft lobe on one end and the lever that will be exposed when you remove the fuel pump on the other. It's a pain in the ass to install the pump when the pushrod is up on the high point of the cam lobe. If it seems like the pump won't go on without you fighting against the return spring on that lever crank the engine around a bit and try it again. Remove the coil wire first! It will go on much easier once the push rod is on or near the low point of the lobe. Guys sometimes put some wheel bearing grease on the pushrod and slide it in so that it will stay up in there while the new pump goes on. I've never been wild about adding wheel bearing grease to the crankcase though. You can usually get that pushrod up in there and hold it with something long enough to slide the fuel pump lever in under the pushrod. Unless you are worried about originality just buy a rebuilt pump. Good luck.
:beer

What is the best way to get at that fuel pump, wheel well, top or underneath?

The wheel well is out. Without looking I'd say the bottom. You'll need to get underneath to deal with the fuel lines anyway. If memory serves me correctly there are only two bolts holding your pump on.

It's Not Bad

Make sure you clean the block surface and the plate that bolts to it and use some silicone to prevent the oil leaking down around the new one as well.

If you set the engine at #1 TDC (compression stroke) first, the pushrod will be on the base circle of the lobe that drives it, and you'll have less of a battle with the pump lever spring.

You'll need to clamp off the rubber hose from the main line to the pump first, or you'll have gas everywhere; I use plastic hose pliers shown in the photo below. Make sure you do this right, especially if you leave the job overnight - if not, the entire contents of the fuel tank will be on the floor in the morning.

There are two bosses with 3/8"-16 holes on the front of the block, just around the corner from the fuel pump; the upper one has a short bolt in it. Remove the short bolt and use a longer bolt, turned only finger tight, to hold the pushrod up against the cam. After installing the pump, replace the long bolt with the original short bolt, with thread sealer on it.

:beer

John,

I never knew those bosses existed. Thanks for the tip! God I love this place! :CAC

Thanks I got to replace that hose also, its cracked and its time. #1 TDC is a good idea.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom