Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do I have transmission problems?!!

vee93

Corvette
1993 Medium Quasar Blue Metallic Coupe
Hey all.
Here's the deal....
I get in the Vette today to run it up the hiway and noticed that when shifting out of Park to Drive, there was no resistence then distinctive click of the shifter settling into the gear slot.

The auto tranny is engaging in all gear positions. I can drive forward and backup with no problems, no whines or any other sound coming from the transmission. There are no leaks from the tranny, no smell of burned fluid and the tranny fluid has good color.

However, I did notice that in the Park position-with the emergency brake on-when applying some gas the Vette wanted to back up. So carefully, I disengaged the emergency brake and lightly applied the gas and the Vette is backing up in Park.
My question is--- Is this a gear shift cable problem or a transmission problem? Help me please!!! Got lots of events coming up with the club that I'd like to attend--for once. Just seems that every year, its one thing or another. Thanks for the advice.
:w

I think the adjustment of your gear shifter cables have changed. There's nothing wrong with your gearbox. Just take it to the shop and ask them to check your cable's and gearshifter. Or do it yourself. You should be able to see where it's gone loose / changed by just checking the cables. Note that these cable's run from you shifter forward to the engine bay and the back again underneath the body to the transmission. So it's wise to lift your car for easier acces.

Have fun..

Sounds like a linkage problem to me. I had a problem with mine and I had to have it rebuilt. My symptoms were fluid coming out the dipstick tube when started up and definite slipping when accelerating.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom