Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does anybody know what this goes to??

86PACER

Corvette
1986 Pace Car
In the process of discovering a severly corroded ABS Control Module Relay, I found this 4 wire harness sitting on top of the other ABS Control Module connectors disconnected. I found that all the ABS harnesses and connectors in there are plugged in, except this one. I could not see anything that it would have plugged into in there. I do not know what it goes to. There is no such connector with these color wires in the ABS wiring diagram of my 86 Shop Manual
LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

The wire colors are, Pink, Black, Brown, and Yellow.
Anyone know what it goes to??

Do you have the Sport Seats? My service manual seems to show a connector for the driver's side sport seat back by the ABS stuff. My first thought was for the hatch release, but I think that's only in the front of the center console.
[RICHR]

I have standard seats. The hatch release works fine so that can't be it. I beleive it's for the Bose system that this car had at one time before I bought it.
I think it's for the "LH Rear Amplifier/ Speaker Unit" Shown on page 8A-150-3
of the 86 Shop Manual.on the top right hand corner.

Rich, can you take a look at it in your shop manual? What do you think?

It looks like a 6x9 spkr. was screwed into the opening....

I must second the estimation about the speaker connector for a Bose speaker set up. I would chase the wires and see if they end up in the center stack.

An easy option is to pull the speaker grill on the opposing side, and see if there is a similar loose connector on that side. If so, "Viola", you got it! If not, a few screws on the speaker grill should be no problem to do first.

If you're out of guesses, you could pull the present sound system and see if there is another disconnected pigtail on the other end.

I'd say that's it. I also found it in the main wiring diagrams at the back; when I looked yesterday, I mis-traced some wires and missed it...
[RICHR]

cablexpert said:
It looks like a 6x9 spkr. was screwed into the opening....

There was. I removed it to gain access. The speaker is off to the side, note visible in the photo. It has aftermarket 6x9 speakers and an aftermarket Clarion stereo with a 6 disc CD changer. I beleive the original owner removed the Boset system and installed this one. Does anyone know what the Bose System RPO code is? This way I can verify that against the RPO sticker under the Center console Lid, to see if it did at one time have a Bose System.

An easy option is to pull the speaker grill on the opposing side, and see if there is a similar loose connector on that side.
That's a good idea. The Shop Manual shows a "RH Rear Amplifier/ Speaker Unit" as well. The color wires for this one are Light Blue, Dark Blue, Black, and Pink.
If I find another disconnected connector with these color wires on that side, guess you can say I found my answer. I am going to go check that out now.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I posted my reply early this morning so excuse my stupid answer...i've got a coupe and wasnt sure where your speaks were mounted ! The bose code is uu8 and in 86' 32,478 came with it out of a possible 35,109 so i'd say its a good bet yours had it. My 85' had it and the idiot before me tore it out...i'm doin a new deck and spkrs this summer and plan on runnin all new heavier ga. wire..hope this helps ya

cablexpert

Thanks for the Info!:w
Going to the garage to check that now. Thanks.

Update

The Bose System RPO code is indeed in my RPO sticker. Also, there is a similar connector under the opposite side speaker. It has the same color wires as the Shop Manual shows for as the "RH Rear Amplifier/ Speaker Unit"
This proves without a doubt that my 86 came with the Bose System and the original owner ripped it out in favor of the present system. That now explains the mysterious loose connector. Now I can carry on with replacing my ABS control module relay now that I know it is not a part of the ABS.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

:CAC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom