Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does Auto or Manual rule?

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
I've been looking for the perfect used vette at the right price for months now. I've passed up some really nice ones because they were automatics. To me, buying a vette without a manual transmission is like buying a two-wheel drive Explorer or Blazer...what's the point!? But what's the general consensus among the true vette lovers-- should I continue to hold out for the right one or just give in so I can get some drive time in before a Chicago winter sets in?

BulletTime said:
I've been looking for the perfect used vette at the right price for months now. I've passed up some really nice ones because they were automatics. To me, buying a vette without a manual transmission is like buying a two-wheel drive Explorer or Blazer...what's the point!? But what's the general consensus among the true vette lovers-- should I continue to hold out for the right one or just give in so I can get some drive time in before a Chicago winter sets in?
I have had THREE knee surgeries on my left leg. Consequently, you have to consider things like "can I drive this car?" or better- "will my wife be able to drive this car?"..... some women MAY NOT be able to drive stick shifts or they simply won't. My wife is in that class!!!

I beleive an automatic will (and this is going to start an argument somewhere), out punch a stick from a rolling start. When you jump on it the automatic will spool up and kick down and then it is hang on for a fun ride. I really like the automatic when driving in traffic where you have a lot of stop and go's also my wife likes the idea of driving if she gets in the mood. It also makes it easier to do the upgrades/mods to a car your wife thinks of as hers too.
Just my .02 :D :w

I have owned three Camaros and they all were automatics. My main concern was city driving, because I live in Chicago. But I promised when I bought a Vette, it would be of the manual flavor. So in September of 2003, I purchased a 1994, six-speed, with the ZO7 option. Boy, do I love it!! The manual trans provides better control, the ability to hold gears longer, and excellent gas mileage. The computer aided gear shift is not much of a problem, I find myself shifting into fourth around town anyway. If you are use to a matic, then get a manual, give yourself some time to get used to it, and you will find yourself addicted to the driving experience.

I have always liked manual transmissions, and subjectively think that they are more fun. When I bought my first 'Vette, it had a manual. I never was very happy with that 'feature'. Sure, it was more consistant at the strip, my girlfriend would drive it, etc. But I never got to be happy with it. I finally decided to get a 6 speed, and thought that I might as well get the beast while I was at it. That is when I got my Z06. It is a whole lot more fun to drive.

This is a well-worn subject. Expect all the standard responses for both. Sunday I explored the capabilities of the auto in an extreme mountain road run and am just blown away by it now. 2nd gear from 20 to 60 with great throttle down response and acceleration was no different from a 2nd stick, maybe taller, and 3 to 2 downshift was right there on command.

Vettes have to be a stick to be a vette? The revs and Gs are fun through the gears up and down the box for sure. But this here '96 auto is a stout unit, and with even 3.07 in the diff it will just blast off without all that stompin' and jerkin'.

Everybody has their reasons.

tlong

Tlong is right- this is a well-debated subject, with no "right" answer.

My opinion on the subject comes down to the fact that it's the individual driver's preference that's probably more important than the technical virtues of either form of transmission. Do you like feeling like you are in full control of running through the gears? If so, go for the manual. Do you not like to have to deal with a clutch, or the embarassment of stalling it at an intersection when you go to shift into first? Then go for the automatic.

I don't know that any one type of transmission is superior to the other, except in the mind of the driver who prefers one over the other.

Just my $0.02 on a well-worn subject.

:w
-Patrick

I did hear that the C6 has or will have a smart automatic that will learn how you drive and will perform best based on your driving styles. In other words if you are agressive it will adjust to an agressive mode and visa versa. If it is as good as some say it might be hard to pass up getting the automatic.

:beer :w

I've had both a 1999 C5 coupe automatic 3.15's and a six speed manual Z06..

I enjoy the six speed manual better. Just more entertaining. I would probably if the mod comes out convert my car to zeroshift though just for the fun of it.

Supposed to be an amazing upgrade..(sorry to go off topic) but I would suggest a six speed manual as it sounds like thats what you want from your first post.

The automatic is a great drag car and a great cruiser though so you definitely wont be disappointed either way.

I just personally prefer after owning both the A4 and the six speed...the six speed.

HTH (and not a flame to automatic c5 owners either as its a hell of a car!)

BulletTime said:
...buying a vette without a manual transmission...what's the point!?
-- should I continue to hold out for the right one or just give in so I can get some drive time in before a Chicago winter sets in?
Were I you, I'd hold out for what you want or you won't be satisfied. Chances are that you would find that you could enjoy the auto just fine if you bought one, but if you are dead set on a manual...wait for the manual.
The only opinion that matters here is yours...and I feel that because of your earlier comment that you won't be happy without a manual tranny. Keep looking and the right one will find you.

Myself, I prefer the auto because hip-joint issues prevent me from moving around in the seat too much, and working a clutch, brake and accelerator would kill me. More importantly, I'm not coordinated enough to work all three pedals. :D
Heidi

BulletTime said:
I think it depends on a couple of things... first what generation Vette are you looking on getting? If it's a C4 or C5 then an automatic with the optional rear gearing will help with the low end off the line grunt. Yes 6 speeds are fun, and eyes go "wide open " when you tell people it's a 6 spd. But many serious gymkhana/autocross cars are automatics because it lets the driver drive, while the car shifts on it's own. I have had two 6 spd Corvettes, I ordered them that way...well the Z06 only comes with the MN12 6spd. But I special ordered my 1993 Z07 with the 6 spd and loved it. But my 1991 was an automatic, it was OK, but it didn't have the optional rear gearing. But, the L98 engines had gobs of low end torque, so that didn't hinder it much.
If I get another new Corvette, and, if it's an ultra performance version, then I'll probably opt for the manual transmission. If it's something other than the ultra performing version, then I just might go for the automatic.
So I guess that you really need to drive both in the year or generation that your anticipating. Then you can decide which you like. You may even change your mind on what a real sports car is....auto or manual.

vettepilot

cruzer82 said:
I did hear that the C6 has or will have a smart automatic that will learn how you drive and will perform best based on your driving styles
:beer :w
The C5 A4 also does some of that.

Yup as mentioned numerous times, its your personal preference. The only objective difference is the different rear end ratio and the ability of the manual to provide a full lockout instead of using a torque converter (which robs a small amount of torque at higher speeds). Some racing automatics also provide the lockout feature but I don't think the stock vette automatic does this.

I had a '97 A4 and it does have a lock-up torque converter. If I remember correctly, it has to be in 3rd or 4th at a high enough speed, then it locks up. It comes out as soon as you hit the brake or drop to a lower gear.

BulletTime said:
But what's the general consensus among the true vette lovers-- should I continue to hold out for the right one or just give in so I can get some drive time in before a Chicago winter sets in?
This is not about consensus...it's about what makes you happy.
It's your money and your car.

I would tell you to drive them both.

I've had both.

My first C5 was a brand new '99 Sebring Silver roadster. It was an A4.
I settled because at the time there were not a lot of C5's around, and I was very anxious.
I had ordered a triple black 6 speed that was going to take 10-12 weeks.

I happened to call the dealership a day after the silver was delivered. I drove it and I was history.

Scarcely two years later, I traded it on a brand new tripleblack 6 speed, the car I wanted in the first place. I couldn't be happier.

Don't settle....get what you want.

Good luck with the hunt...it's a lot of fun!!

Pedro:w
P.S. Welcome!

DRTH VTR said:
I had a '97 A4 and it does have a lock-up torque converter. If I remember correctly, it has to be in 3rd or 4th at a high enough speed, then it locks up. It comes out as soon as you hit the brake or drop to a lower gear.
FYI-

I have been at 150mph in my 1997 A4. I didn't think it made a big difference in terms of driver/tranny control. I think I was pushing maybe 3.5k rpms. I really don't remember.... but I didn't feel I was running out of r's. Weather its four gears or six..... I think the decision is purely preference- not performance.

It is a personal decision, and you knew when you started looking what would make you happiest.

This is a big purchase, and you shouldn't compromise in order to get into a vette sooner. Patience, grasshopper! :D

Tammy

Definently see where your coming from on the auto. vrs. manual 6-speed. I saw advatages and disadvantages in both; so as someone else already said, drive both, that is what I did. also if it is a daily driver and you drive a lot of city driving and etc. that may make a differance. It really is to each their own type deal I think! Now my
C-5 is a 6-speed manual but not a daily driver, when I do drive it in a larger city where their is a lot of stopping and going at the lights it doesn't bother me very much, from light to light I ussually shift maybe twice but after the shift I am usually clear off the clutch and resting my left leg on the dead pedal rather than keeping it on or above the clutch. I kind of feel like someone else had already said and maybe that was you. BUYING A C-5 WITH AN AUTOMATIC WAS LIKE BUYING A BLASER OR EXPLOYER WITHOUT 4-WHEEL DRIVE. I love the shifting and would not personally consider an automatic for what I use the car for. When I was looking if had an automatic I just never bothered with it; now that I have the 6-speed I am glad I waiting to get what I wanted, I would have regretted the automatic that I know for sure! Heath problems, and what you use it for would sure dictate this as well. Wiat for what you know deep down you want. It is worth the wait and looking.

MAY GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE US MILITARY AND OUR ALLIES.

Bill

I traded my 1999 automatic coupe for a 2004 6 speed coupe. The 6 speed is fun to drive, but at times, I miss the automatic.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom