Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

does Hypertech Power Chips replace PROM

like2drive

Corvette
1981 beige
After recently dumping the automatic trans. and putting in a Manual 4 speed, I learned (here, of course) that I need to switch the PROM in the ECM that differ due to which transmission you have. I can find one in a junk yard, but the cost , I think, is excessive. I have the 1981 computer controlled QuadJet (which by the way, I learned today that Rochester has a different code on THEM depending on whether they are for Manual or Automatic applications!)

Anyone know if the Hypertech Powere chips are a replacement for the PROM, or are the another add-on?

If they replace, I'll probably go w/one.
Anyone.....? thanks, jim

Yep, the power chips are a drop-in replacement for your ECM PROM chip . They can be found on Pg. 27 of the application manual.

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/appguide/pdf/appguide.pdf

Part # 11051 or 11052 depending on if you want the street or strip version.
Pull off the cover of your ECM PROM and swap chips in 5 minutes or less. It's in front of the battery on the firewall, but you will have to pull the battery out first to get to it.
I put one in my 82 and haven't been sorry.

wishuwerehere, thanks again. I'll try to get one tomorrow at the Charlotte auto fair at the Lowes Motor Speedway. If not there, I'll order it. Thanks again. jim

Incidentially, my ECM is behind the drivers seat in the battery box...& yes, the battery will have to be taken out for the exchange....which i've never done...or wanted to:eek

like2drive said:
wishuwerehere, thanks again.

Incidentially, my ECM is behind the drivers seat in the battery box...& yes, the battery will have to be taken out for the exchange....which i've never done...or wanted to:eek

Heh, heh, Yeah I knew that. Mine is too. Sometimes what I mean and what I type turn out different than what I know.

Take off your battery cables first and use a long extension ratchet to remove the 1/2" bolt that clamps the bottom of the battery. Pull it out, and stand on your head to see the little door on th ECM where the Prom chip is.

wishuwherehere82,

How much hp/tq improvement did you see? Worth the money? Gas milage or idle suffer at all? Thanks for any info.

-Tatortot

I can't say that it hurt the milage any. Mostly it changed the shift points up on the HP curve. I have been getting 24.6 MPG on my L83 since installing the chip. It dyno-ed out at 164 HP at 4100 RPM and 262 Lb-Ft. of torque at 2600 RPM at the rear wheels. Stock engine HP is 200 for the crossfire, so it's about right at the rear wheels.

I have a chip in everything else I drive but thought that it wouldnt make much of a difference in my 81. It really makes a difference? I have adjusted the vacum modulator on the auto trany to get the shift points I want so i cant really see an improvement being made if I go to one. But would really like to hear ya'alls sugestions/recomendations.

why it won't work

I'll have to skip this alternative. Hypertech informed me that i would have to upgrade to 93 octane,....(and hurricane wilma is getting ready to hit.)
I guess I'll keep looking for a computer out of an '*81 manual. thanks , jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom