Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does this sound right to any of the experts here?

90 Corvette ZR-1

Corvette
90 Red ZR-1
I was having an argument on another board about the sledgehammer and the guy cam back with:

Him: Callaway = crap. They couldn't figure out why their intercoolers weren't working when they had them mounted at such an angle to airflow that the air was "expected" to make a 90° turn into the heatsink vanes, and then another 90° turn to get out of the engine bay.
They had this same problem with their radiators too.
Their Sledgehammer couldn't drive 30 miles before overheating.

Me: no name no care

Him: Carroll Smith.

After he had altered the underhood aerodynamics, the sledgehammer ended up running with just a small slit in the front bumper for feeding air to the water radiator. Any bigger of a hole, and the engine would never warm up. Such was the accomplishment of Smith.

is this information correct?

Was there a question in there Kevin??

If it was, did Carroll Smith work on the project, then the answer is yes -

Not sure what else to say however, based upon the opening statment, I am leaving this thread, less than impressed

If this guy did work on the Sledge project, his engineering skills must be TONS better than his memory.

The Sledgehammer had front mounted intercoolers completely different than the b2k. I agree the b2k intercoolers were not placed in the most effective position, but for the stock body lines, turbo placement, and a factory look...I think they did very well. Plus when you were moving down the road the coolign effect was very good.

Secondly, the radiators were left in the stock location on the b2k. Again a very uninformed comment. Typically a larger radiator is better but mine car only got hot a few times here in FL when it as 95 degrees with the AC on full blast. Haven't been in the Sledge so I dont know if it over heats or not, but I can tell you the intercoolers have nothing to do with that.

Guy sounds like he's lost his marbles.

SurfnSun said:
Secondly, the radiators were left in the stock location on the b2k. Again a very uninformed comment. Typically a larger radiator is better but mine car only got hot a few times here in FL when it as 95 degrees with the AC on full blast. Haven't been in the Sledge so I dont know if it over heats or not, but I can tell you the intercoolers have nothing to do with that.

Was the radiator in the stock location on the Sledgehammer? It sounds like that's what he's saying.

However, the cooling is so impressive that they had to limit the air into the radiator? I think I'd call BS on that one. Did the radiator get so incredibly cold that the heat transfer through a closed thermostat was enough to chill the motor?

I agree with Surf...

If you look at the placement of the intercooler on the Grand Nationals, they are front mounted, but then they are only dealing with 1 turbo and they have tons of space in the front hood area. Otherwise plumbing would have been a huge issue on the B2K. I've seen various attemps at twin turbo corvettes and they have that frankenstein look, huge hoods, and even stuff sticking out of the hood - not a "factory" look at all. There is no free room anywhere in the front engine bay of the corvette, particularly with the swinging headlamps.

Sounds to me that it is sour grapes on his part.

-Luigi
:cool

SurfnSun said:
Haven't been in the Sledge so I dont know if it over heats or not, but I can tell you the intercoolers have nothing to do with that.

Having had the pleasure of putting my wrinkles in the seat in hot AZ (for over 2 hrs), I can honestly say it never showed signs of overheating, period.

Also, when I saw the car again this past summer, there was no signs of it running hot - and it was driven to the show - "at speed" :eek

*89x2* said:
Was this a recent conversation??

Reason I ask, Carroll Smith passed away about three years ago
Angel_anim.gif

It was a recent conversation but I have no idea when who met who.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom