Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does your parking brake work?

Sensei

Corvette
'81 dark blue
The reason I am asking is because I'm thinking of removing mine. It has to be adjusted to where it will not stop the car or it drags. Even then, if someone pulls the lever, it will drag until I re-adjust it. Lately, my gas milage and performance have not been up to par, and it seems that the brake has been dragging slightly. I'm thinking, "just remove the entire thing" (leaving the lever just for looks). Have I gone "Bubba"? God bless, Sensei

Chris,

Tagging you with the "bubba" nickname is a bit extreme, for I know that you are particularly meticulous about your Vette.

I feel that you perhaps, just like I have, grown shy of battling with every issue that our yet-aging Vettes throw our ways.

Believe me, if I had the cash to let a very knowledgeable mechanic to fix a persistent problem, then I would. And it is not helpful when one has not found that knowledgeable mechanic, so what do we do? -We fix it ourselves, but what a PITA it is to spend 3 out 4 weekends fixing instead of driving, huh?

On the E-brake, what I do is to adjust it with the rear wheels off the ground, so that I can gage how much force it requires my arm to turn the wheel after adjustments. Perhaps the E-Brake shoes are worn, and you're experiencing metal-to-metal contact?

I have fixed mileage changes just by ohm'ing the ignition wires and finding an un-usually-high ohm reading on a couple of cylinder wires.

p.s. The E-brake can also be used to not loose control in a turn, so I am not sure if you should remove it.

Mine doesn't drag, but it also won't keep the car from rolling down hills.
It is an auto, so i just leave it in park.

Personally, i would not remove it. When I had time & $$$ I would restore it to proper working order. Until that time comes, I might adjust the shoes so that they don't drag, and then disconnect the wire so that the handle doesn't do anything. All of the parts are on the car so you can work on it when you feel like it, and it will be impossible to accidentally set the brake.

Some states require that it be there to pass inspection (some require that it be there and work).

Good Luck!

Mine is unfunctional at this point..... had the parts removed at the time I didnt have the cash to fix them right. Someday I will fix it and make it right, but mine is an auto trans and i rarely would have to use them.

~Chas:w

Mine is unfunctional at this point..... had the parts removed at the time I didnt have the cash to fix them right. Someday I will fix it and make it right, but mine is an auto trans and i rarely would have to use them.

~Chas:w

I think this is where I'm at right now!

I wouldn't remove it, would be very strange that the biggest lever in the car isn't working ;) I also spend some houres getting it right and at the end a friend of mine did it. The way the manual says to do it doesn't work for me, but I haven't seen my vette in 10 months so I don't know if the brake is set up right without drag. Good luck and don't give up! :)

Groeten Peter

I have replaced allmost every componet for my E-brake. Adjusted and adjusted it. Worked before with the old rusty stuff. Won't work now. Gave up. I guess I'll just have to be happy with having pretty stainless steel that I will never see,lol.

E-Brake

The reason I am asking is because I'm thinking of removing mine. It has to be adjusted to where it will not stop the car or it drags. Even then, if someone pulls the lever, it will drag until I re-adjust it. Lately, my gas milage and performance have not been up to par, and itrake seems that the brake has been dragging slightly. I'm thinking, "just remove the entire thing" (leaving the lever just for looks). Have I gone "Bubba"? God bless, Sensei
Mine works fine. Too fine to be exact. Once pulled on, the car won't budge. Problem is it won't release! I guess it has something to do with the mechanism at the end of the brake handle. To fix I'd have to remove the drivers seat. What a pain! I think I'll just use the "in gear" trick to keep it stationary.

The reason I am asking is because I'm thinking of removing mine. It has to be adjusted to where it will not stop the car or it drags. Even then, if someone pulls the lever, it will drag until I re-adjust it. Lately, my gas milage and performance have not been up to par, and it seems that the brake has been dragging slightly. I'm thinking, "just remove the entire thing" (leaving the lever just for looks). Have I gone "Bubba"? God bless, Sensei

Since you live in Florida, do as you want. It's FLAT.;LOL

Since you live in Florida, do as you want. It's FLAT.;LOL

Good point! But actually, I couldn't go through with it and once again I got under, loosened it up and got it to stop dragging, then took the slack out. It doesn't work, but it's all still there. God bless, Sensei

:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash

So I go out this morning to drive the car. My son gets in and for some God-only-knows-why reason pulls the parking brake lever!

:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash

The parking brake goes today! Just call me Bubba!

In the parts of Florida I have visited, the high elevation areas were speed bumps in the maxi malls. That being said, you can probably get away without one if its a slush box, but I cringe when I see people park their automatics on even a slight incline, drop it into park and watch the weight of the vehicle fall on that little 1/4 inch pin holding the trans in "PARK"

Thats a lot of faith you are bestowing on your precious ride.

Fix it. From cable to shoes it's no more than $150

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom