Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dome Light '81

herron

Corvette
1981 T-Top, Silver over Blue
The dome light in my '81 doesn't seem to want to work. Dimmer switch works with other courtesy lights, fuse is OK and there's a new bulb in the dome light -- but it doesn't work.

Short of ripping out the related wiring and replacing it, is there anything anyone else has discovered that I don't yet know about it? Is it a common failing?

(Note: my world won't end if it doesn't ever work again)! ;)

Recently trouble shot a similar problem with an '80. Turned out to be the electronic delay timer (a power transister had burnt out) that shuts the lights off 30 seconds or so after you exit the car. Now all of mine lights worked via the dimmer switch, but nothing worked when you opened either door. The delay timer is located next to the glove box, on the right side. It is orange in color and taped to the wiring harness that runs up the right side of the dash. I took the glove box out for access. I forget the part #, but the switch is still available from GM Parts Direct. If I remember correctly it cost between $30 and $40.

"I forget the part" The number is 463498. Current GM wholesale price is about 47.00 I bought one at Carlisle for $20. The vendor didn't even know what it was.

Detatch the light housing from the t-bar and be sure the wires are attached good at that point. If the wires are good there, use a multi meter to see if there is power at the socket or not (it should be hot at all times as the switch connects the ground. If there is power, it is a bad connection from the ground side of the bulb socket to the switch. If there is no power at the bulb socket at all, it is a bad connection to the socket from the fuse panel. Once you know which wire it is open, you just check the other end where it terminates and you will probably find the problem. (An assembly manual is invaluable for this. God bless, Sensei

Detatch the light housing from the t-bar and be sure the wires are attached good at that point. If the wires are good there, use a multi meter to see if there is power at the socket or not (it should be hot at all times as the switch connects the ground. If there is power, it is a bad connection from the ground side of the bulb socket to the switch. If there is no power at the bulb socket at all, it is a bad connection to the socket from the fuse panel. Once you know which wire it is open, you just check the other end where it terminates and you will probably find the problem. (An assembly manual is invaluable for this. God bless, Sensei
Thanks, sensei!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom