Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Donaldson Air Filter

Albiesc5

Corvette
2003 Coupe Torch Red
My 2003 6 Speed has just had its first oil change, nows the time to start the mods. Is this the best filter and the best bang for the buck? What power increase can I expect?

I put the donaldson blackwing on. It really opened up more power in the mid range for me. The car practically pins me in when I goose it at 60 or so.

I really don't notice too much off the line though, but I have the 2.73s and an A-4, so that's probably why it didn't make much of a difference there.

I get slightly better milage now, but the most noticable improvment is the idle quality. The car idles smooth as can be now. It was rough with the stock airbox for some reason.

I got mine from Extreme motorsports here in Tempe, AZ for about $235. I picked it up, so that probably saved me some $$$.

I haven't heard much about Donaldson, but I came across some info about K&N vs Green on CAC's KnowledgeBase webpage. Read it...you'll be surprised about K&N and what it's not doing. I was sooo close to getting the K&N induction system on my vette before I deployed and am glad I didn't.

Mike

K&N is an excellent filter if you're running in really dirty conditions. I've used nothing but K&N on my off road vehicles. They are not all that great for the street though. The reason is that K&N filters actually work better when they're dirty. A freshly cleaned K&N will not filter out nearly as much dirt as one that has a good amount of 'crud' on it. They are designed to be operated in dirty conditions - hardly optimal for a Vette.

My off road vehicle (73 Bronco) gets a K&N because that's the best filter for that environment. I clean it when the layer of crud around it gets past 1/4" thick or so.

The Donaldson is a much better option for the Vette. It's designed to be a road filter - not an off-road one like the K&N.

i installed the black wing last week. i think it's a great mod, i can notice the difference off the line (a little) and at higher speeds. a great mod in my opinion.

I have had my Donaldson Blackwing on my C5 for the last 2 years and yes you will notice a big change in performance over the stock filter assy. The idle improved and the throttle response, especially when I go WOT at 65 "hold - on " I did replace my stock air filter with a replacement K & N but noticed no change, so I sold it and went with the Blackwing.......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom