Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door Remote

• Thread starter Thread starter secondchance
  • Start date Start date
S

secondchance

Does anyone know where the receiver module for door remote is located in 94 ZR-1?
For some reason, although I lost the remote, jarring motion opens the lock and remote is not even in the car!

sounds like it could be the door lock switch... when you jar it, it unlocks the doors... it doesn't sound like the remote sensor to me.

Hi, Vettelt193,
Could you be more specific? It seems to happen after the car gets wet in rain or a wash.

well, i am betting that water is dripping on it somehow.... you really need to take the door apart and go from there... I am betting you will find the problem pretty easily with things apart

If PKE is on, the car is locked, you jar it and then the car unlocks, your key fob (the transmitter) is inside the car somewhere.

The system was designed to work that way.

I think I finally figured this one out. Door switch circuit in the driverside door is opening up when the door jiggles and in turn system thinks that the door is being closed while the key is in the ignition and turns the light on and kicks the door locks open.
I'll confirm this later in this thread.

Yup. Like I had suspected. Somehow, door switch(one that turns the lights on and off) was closing the circuit briefly when it should be open(when the door is closed). This made the which ever computer controlling the security system to think that I have opened the door and was shutting the door w/ the key in the ignition. This causes the computer to kick both door locks open and briefly turn the interior lights on.
Almost identical to shaking the car when the transmitter is locked in the car.
I made a spacer and put it behind the door swich which increases the distance between the contacts within the swich and now car could be bouncing all over the place w/o locks acting up.
Thought I would share this w/ you guys just in case.:duh

Just so you know, the fix you have come up with is only a temp. solution... you will need a new door switch eventually, and GM decided to make it a real PITA to change them:(

Another thing to think about... is it possible to turn of PKE without the key fob? Sounds like yours is still on, and there is no reason to have the car looking for a key fob that will never show up again... I always wondered how much battery power PKE draws, and always turn mine off while in the garage for more than a couple of days.

Hi, Vettelt93,
I've ordered a new PKE transmitter. Should show up today or tommorow.
As far as current draw is concerned, I think its minimal. I would'nt worry about it.

Yun:w

I hope you got a good deal on it.... they aren't cheap from chevy... I managed to get one for 40 bucks a few months ago... I know chevy wanted over 100 for it.

Yeah, I paid $100. Could'nt find any cheaper used in e-bay. So, I spluged.:eyerole

I tell ya... stamp a corvette emblem onto anything and it is worth 10 times what it was without it.... it really stings paying that kind of money for a little plastic key-chain remote... at least you didn't have to pay full price:)

I see remotes on Ebay all the time (at least since I bought my Vette 6 months ago) for around $20 or so. Does anyone know if the same remote will work with all C5s? If not, what yr did they change?

I think they are all compatible, but the earlier C5's have the passive option on the fobs.... so if you want PKE and have an earlier C5 you would need the early style fob.... I think 1999 was the last year of PKE, but I'm not sure.

Thats what I was thinking--that 97-99 are compatible, and 00+. Thanks for clarifying.

New PKE finally showed and programmed it. This one has hatch open button as well. My last one, left behind in a US Air 737, did'nt.

vettaholic said:
I think I finally figured this one out. Door switch circuit in the driverside door is opening up when the door jiggles and in turn system thinks that the door is being closed while the key is in the ignition and turns the light on and kicks the door locks open.
I'll confirm this later in this thread.

I was wrong.

Great trouble shooting!!

I'll have to remember this one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom