Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door VIN replacement stickers?

JohnnyC

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe - LT4
Does anyone know if there are replacements for the "MFD by GM Corp" and the "Tire Loading info" (w/VIN) stickers that go in the driver door?

I am also curious about the UAW 2164 sticker. Info? Anyone else have this?

The previous owner had some of the car painted at Macco (stupid) and there was over spray on the inside doors. I managed to clean much of it up with paint remover (the Vette paint underneath held up GREAT). Looks much better now, but I got to the MFD by GM sticker and unfortunately managed to remove some letters. Keep in mind, 1/4 of the sticker is covered in black overspray already. What can I do?

Thanks,
John

You know John, I started researching to see if I could find anything for you but all I could find were the decals for the air cleaners and valve covers. I know they make reproduction decals (stickers) for the emissions information, but I started thinking when I couldn't find the door stickers, I wonder if they are an integral piece of the individual car and therefore repops aren't available. :confused

Good luck in your search.

GM may have a part # for the tire loading sticker. The one with the Vin and build date? when its gone its gone.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to call GM/Corvette/Bowling Green and see where I can get.

I would think there must be some circumstances for those that are in an accident, or replace the drive side door for some reason and need those door stickers replaced.

I just went out and looked at the labels on my 86, there appears to be a part number on the lower right corner of the labels. #14085204A is on the MFG date sticker and #14085204B is on the tire info sticker. I don't know if this helps you, since my Vette is a differant year than yours but maybe they can be purchased at the dealer.

Don't go messing with the sticker that has the vin on it. You could wind up with your car impounded until some one can confirm that its not a stolen car. Car theives made new stickers on computers but can't duplicate a factory sticker,,any funny business with the sticker can be grounds to impound the vehicle.

I hear ya, but jbolanowski has a good point about a car that gets damaged in this area, or, one like his where the body shop obliterated the sticker with overspray. What then? Can your car be impounded if the door sticker is reproduced and replaced, I mean if the info on the reproduced sticker matches the VIN plate on the dashboard then where's the problem with that?

Well assuming the car is not stolen it can just be explained that the sticker was ruined or painted over. There are many times a door is replaced and that leads to the same situation. I think you would be better with a ruined sticker then one that has been falsified in some way. Just making your own VIN sticker in some states could be illegal and lead to problems you dont really need.
If I bought a replacement door I think I would keep a receipt in the glove box just to show why it was different. If your reason checks out it's no big deal. If theres any doubt when it comes to vins the car can be taken for further inspection until it's verified.

Change all the stickers you want but don't get creative with anything that contains a VIN.

The windshield VIN# is the important one, not the drivers door. If you have a door replaced because of accident its gone just that simple. The door label is mainly there for dealer and warranty use.
I have seen body shops tape the labels off when repainting/repairing and is always a good clue the car has been repaired if the label is missing or has a paint ridge around it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom