Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drain plug location for D36?

Rich96c4ce

Corvette
1996 LT1 Collector Edition Coupe
I'm building a D36 diff. and want to put a magnetic drain plug in it. Has anyone done this? Where did you put the pug (please, no "on the bottom" responses. My concern is to minimize the stress that a new hole in the case might cause.
Thanks.

We drilled up from the bottom on the right back side. Mostly because it was easy. My buddy who works on outboard motors had spare magnetic drain plugs. The hole we had to drill was about 3/8 inch. Hasn't caused any problems and it's been in there for 4 or 5 years now.

JS

One of our illustrious leaders (KEN)is around here someplace. I think he has done this to his car. I am sure he will pop in soon.

Ken said:
But I put mine on the bottom Jon. :eek:

diffdrain_03.JPG

diffdrain_04.JPG

The bottom! I asked that no wise cracks like this one :booty be offered!

Regardless, was it in the thick web into which the cover bolts go, or into the thin floor of the housing forward of the thick web? The photo of Ken's looks like its in the web. Those pipes sure make it difficult!
Thanks,
Rich

I sure love that spacer to keep the exhaust pipe away from the differental :)
diffdrain_04.JPG

tom...

There is a drain plug kit here...I have never used it or really know what it looks like...you may want to give them a call.

http://www.cranescorvette.com/new_stuff1.htm

1984-1996 Differential Drain Plug Kit

Easily installs a drain plug into your 1984-1996 Corvette differential
Part Number Description Price
37626 84-96 Differential Drain Plug Kit $59.95

Rich96c4ce said:
... was it in the thick web into which the cover bolts go

Yes, I drilled throught the thick portion just to the left of center. The exhaust system was out of the car at the time; when I drain the differential I'll just use a piece of cardboard or something to direct the oil away from the pipes. ;)

"Spacer" Tom??? :confused

_ken

But look at the prospective of the pic, looks just like a nut laying on top of the exhaust pipe, between the pipe and the differental. Got to be careful with those angles and a camera :)
tom...

Ken said:
Yes, I drilled throught the thick portion just to the left of center. The exhaust system was out of the car at the time; when I drain the differential I'll just use a piece of cardboard or something to direct the oil away from the pipes.

Not an oily mess, my in-the-process-of-being-a-3.75 housing is on my workbench, with just WD40 on it. In a flash, it could be on the drill press with a hole drilled in it. Thanks.

Rear-End drain plug?

I can't belive that GM did not install drain plugs from the factory (or DANA corporation) :confused

Of course they do not install them in the automatic transmission pans either :confused

I'm suprised that they even put drain plugs in the oil pans!!!

I'd like to put a drain plug in my rear-end some day :booty because I hate using a suction gun to try to get 75% of the old fluid out! I always leave 25% dirty fluid behind.

Tom

The main reason that GM eliminated the auto transmission drain plug was..... Nobody used it during warranty or customer pay work. Most technicians just loosened all but a couple of pan bolts and let the fluid drain out of the low corner. Then removed the rest of the nuts. By doing this, it eliminated about .1 hr on the flat rate manual. This mutiplied by thousands that could be expected to be removed in each year added up to lots of hours, and $$$$. The bottom line is $$$ so therefore the drain plug and associated welded nut and drilling of the pan during the manufacturing process was eliminated, thus raising the profit margin a little more.
Also note that the diff. carrier rear covers lost their drain holes a long time ago. Same reasons, most just removed the screws, and let the oil drain out of the bottom then remove the cover to work on the inside.
A little here, a little there, and next thing ya know there's a ton of money being made.

vettepilot

Seems those little metal shavings would circulate about in the oil and get nabbed even if the mag-plug was the filler plug.

Drainage is another question. Rinse, anyone?

vettepilot said:
The main reason that GM eliminated the auto transmission drain plug was..... Nobody used it during warranty or customer pay work. Most technicians just loosened all but a couple of pan bolts and let the fluid drain out of the low corner. Then removed the rest of the nuts. By doing this, it eliminated about .1 hr on the flat rate manual. This mutiplied by thousands that could be expected to be removed in each year added up to lots of hours, and $$$$. The bottom line is $$$ so therefore the drain plug and associated welded nut and drilling of the pan during the manufacturing process was eliminated, thus raising the profit margin a little more.
Also note that the diff. carrier rear covers lost their drain holes a long time ago. Same reasons, most just removed the screws, and let the oil drain out of the bottom then remove the cover to work on the inside.
A little here, a little there, and next thing ya know there's a ton of money being made.

vettepilot

The real reason the drain plug was not installed is because the trans filter has to be changed, so they force you to drop the pan to change the fluid.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom