Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

driver side sun visor wont stay up

John, is it the same setup as on a midyear? A rod on the sun visor that goes through a "u" shaped piece of metal that pinches the rod? I bent and inserted a piece of aluminum roof sheathing to increase the friction. Lasted 5 years so far.

Joe -- No, it is much different than a midyear. There is a nylon bushing around the shaft of the sunvisor flap. I am told that you can purchase the nylon bushings to fix the problem. I ws hoping for something like a drop of loctite etc. The bushings are $8-10

Not trying to hijack your thread, but...
I had just the opposite problem. My entire assembly was starting to get stiff. next thing I know, I go to rotate it 90 degrees so it's blocking the sun from the door window and...SNAP! It severed right off at the pivot joint. Looks like I'm going to have to replace that whole assembly now.

Oh "SNAP!"
145069680_2ab8a85e6e_o.jpg

145069674_0fd867bc1a_o.jpg

Evolution1980 said:
Not trying to hijack your thread, but...
I had just the opposite problem. My entire assembly was starting to get stiff. next thing I know, I go to rotate it 90 degrees so it's blocking the sun from the door window and...SNAP! It severed right off at the pivot joint. Looks like I'm going to have to replace that whole assembly now.

Oh "SNAP!"

Actually, Andre, no. You can take the bolt from the top out (on the top's). I had the same thing happen to me after i had the car for 2 weeks. SNAP. I went nuts, went back to the shop and they replaced it in 2 minutes flat.. The cover on the T-Top side is a bit tricky to get out, but it shouldnt be a biggy.. :)

http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/pro...alse&mscssid=40E8EF4D37C247A49445DD9E3BA1198C

:w

Edit: added link.. ;)

82ColEd said:
Actually, Andre, no. You can take the bolt from the top out (on the top's). I had the same thing happen to me after i had the car for 2 weeks. SNAP. I went nuts, went back to the shop and they replaced it in 2 minutes flat.. The cover on the T-Top side is a bit tricky to get out, but it shouldnt be a biggy..
Sweet! I'll have to look into that!
$2 cheaper at Ecklers :)

Or the kit since I'll probably bung up the old stuff getting it out...$25
41645.jpg

:L *** Officially Hijacked *** :L

Sorry,
JL66REDCPE
:beer

Evolution1980 said:
Sweet! I'll have to look into that!
$2 cheaper at Ecklers :)

Or the kit since I'll probably bung up the old stuff getting it out...$25
41645.jpg

:L *** Officially Hijacked *** :L

Sorry,
JL66REDCPE
:beer

You're not forgetting the shipping at the Big E are you ? ;)

Sorry JL66REDCPE from me too..

82ColEd said:
You're not forgetting the shipping at the Big E are you ?
Is Zip's free shipping? I did see that they'll pricematch other vendors/websites...

Evolution1980 said:
Is Zip's free shipping? I did see that they'll pricematch other vendors/websites...

No, but E. usually charges outrages shipping for any item. Wouldnt want you to make $2 on that item just to loose $5 on shipping.. Just make sure you compare.. :)

JL66REDCPE said:
No problem on the highjack comment -- as a mater of fact, thanks for posting all the pictures. They actually helped. :)
Yeeeeah, we rock! :L
:_rock

Buying the parts is easy . Installing the rod, spring, and retainer is another subject. When you figure that out let me know. The way I see it you have to compress the spring with the retainer, then push the rod up from the bottom into the retainer. Sounds easy it aint

Same thing happened on my '81. The visor slipped down while driving. I finally bought the stupid bushing. It was too large at first (darn aftermarket parts...) but after shaving a little off, it now works good as new. I suggest just getting the bushing.

-Tatortot

Evolotion,Ive got a pair of brand new pieces(org GM stil in box)of that whole part if you are interested.L and R.

If anyone is still looking.

I replaced the bushings in mine 2 times and it still slides down.

Jim

Mine does the same thing, in a couple minutes time it flops down right in the line of sight, Dangerous and Annoying. It seems the hex rod that the flap is on stays in position, rather it doesn't rotate, just the sun visor doesn't have enough pinch and it will rotate and flop down. It seems the cure would be to somehow make the sun visor fit tighter in the hex rod. My idea, which I'll have to try is to get a length of welding.brazing rod and push it in along the hex rod length thus pinching and taking up the looseness of the sun visor flap. I suppose a steel cloths hanger piece would work as well, however you can get different diameter brazing rod for cheap. It might work with a small rod or maybe two, or simply a larger diameter one. You could also put a dab of silicone at the side where you push in the rod and if might make enough of an internal goop mess to also alleviate the rotation. Just a thought.......

I replaced mine when I first posted in this thread (Holy Sh**, that was already 6 years ago?!?!?)... for the most part, I would've fixed the problem except that when I was reassembling the visor arm, not knowing/thinking it was supposed to have friction, I greased the area around the pinch-bushing. Whoops, DUH! That's what keeps the visor in place. Now it falls down all the time.
Until I decide to get around and replace it again, I found a simple solution for now.
First, extend the visor on the rod.
Second, flip the visor so it's pointing away from you.
Third, it should reach far enough to the right and center that you can prop it up on the rear-view mirror without it moving your mirror.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom