Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drivers door won't open!

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
When I got home tonight, I parked , unlocked the doors with the power locks, went for the handle and nothing happened. After I got out the passenger side, I tried every combination to try to get the door open. both inside and the outer handle are intact and I can hear the parts making noise back at the lock. The door won't budge.

I'll have it fixed at friendly local corvette shop in the morning, but I was wondering if anybody knows what happened.

Spiderman :_rock :w

Spiderman, sounds as if metal rod connecting the handle to the latch may have come loose. Did you try opening from the inside?
If all fails go to Corvette Masters in Cassleberry. Or see Tim at Burke's Corvette. Tell them Yun says hi.

yeh I tried everything to open the door. Corvette Masters in Maitland (right next to Rogers Corvette) is the only place that can touch my car. I spoke to Robbie this morning. I'm bringing it in by Wed to be fixed. I highly recommend these guys to anybody in the Orlando area.

Spiderman :w

Yup, Robbie and Tim (Burke's Corvette) took care of my cars (91 ZR-1, BMW 850 & 735 and 94 ZR-1) for 10 years.
I still call them when I'm diagnosing.

Hmmm odd!

The outside handle SHOULD operate independantly of the inside..it might be the actual actuator ( where the door grabs the pin ) that's broke if neither release opens.

Note there ARE little nylon locks that hold the COAT HANGERS ( the internal rods that link to the actuator).. that DO break.. but BOTH going at the same time..... Hmmmmmm

Vig!

Hey Vig!

That does sound a little odd. Initially that night neither the inner or outer handle would open the door. Yesterday morning I tried it and the outside lock did engage (or disengage I guess) with the key and the handle opened the door, but there was a click and a popping sound when it happened.

Just a couple weeks ago I finnally got me hood release finally taken care of. I went through two different hood cables and Corvette Masters (coinsdentally with the help from Tim and his guys @ Burkes) realigned the drivers side guide pin. The problem was that there was so much friction between the guide pin and the bracket that the spring was over powered and I managed to break two cables trying to pop it.

First I can't get under the hood and now I'm having problems just getting behind the wheel. :cry

Life's rough I know.:)

Spiderman :w

If you are able, remove thwe door panel. As Vigman mentioned, there are a few coathangers(pershaped metal rods) and bell cranks. These metal rods are fastened typically with plastic clips. Its really not that difficult to figure out how they are connected.
If all fails Robbie, Mike and Tim and Martin will be able to fix it easily.
Like I saiad, give my best to those guys and tell them about the forum. If we can get those guys in the forum, amount of help and info we coul get would be tremendous.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom