Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drop Top C5 info wanted????????

tntcorvette

Looking to purchase a early C5 drop top. I believe the convertible came out in '98? Looking to get a 6 speed. Anything I should know about the C5 and the drop top? Common problems for these cars? Are they easy to work on with some mechanical skill?

I am debating migrating to the C5 platform since my C4 is now sold.

There have been several back windows fall out of the roadsters, I've heard the bonding compound gives out.

I'd go with an 2001 or newer if possible, they made several tweaks that year.

Enjoy the hunt. :beer

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I'd recommend upgrading to the newest low mileage C5 I could find... and afford. I love my '98 but it's a fact that each successive model year has a few more tweaks, bells and whistles than those before it.

As for my '98 my only major issues were the battery leak common to early C5 models and the top which had to be replaced last year when the back glass let go.

The leak occurred prior to purchase but all of the acid residue was not properly cleaned until my mechanic found it about 6 months after I bought her. He neutralized and cleaned everything and I've had no more issues with it.

I've heard of a couple other early C5 owners with convertible top/ glass woes, but we're talking about nearly 10 year old tops.

Good luck - keep us posted!!
:wJane Ann

Fun - Top Up or Topless

Mines a 2001 and I've had no issues. Well I did have a cop
follow it home the other day - but that's a different issue
entirely. As Jane Ann recommended - buy as late a model
as possible.

Remo:cool
LongShotLeft.JPG

I had an 02 and now have an 04 and I love them. The ZO6 might have the HP but there is nothing like the top down crusin! I have had no problems and love this car!

Looking to purchase a early C5 drop top. I believe the convertible came out in '98? Looking to get a 6 speed. Anything I should know about the C5 and the drop top? Common problems for these cars? Are they easy to work on with some mechanical skill?

I am debating migrating to the C5 platform since my C4 is now sold.

I have a '98 that I bought with 24,000 miles on it. A year and 8,000 miles later I still love it. However, if you can get the extended warranty because you never know when you might need it. I had the gas gauge (a full tank registering as empty) problem fixed first thing, and a transmission linkage repaired but hey, it was a used car! Other than that it has been smooth sailing (or flying, as the case may be :upthumbs).

The only problem I've had with mine is that it takes to much time away from the 62.

1998 C-5

Hi TNT,

I bought a 98 Pacecar about a year ago with 36K on it.
It just turned over 38 and I have had no problems.
You should be able to find a good 98 with fairly low miles for around 20K. Get a vehix report on it and have it checked out by a mechanic referred to you by your local Corvette club.

Good Luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom