Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dual Quad Resto

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Hello to all,
I have an earlier "crate motor" (350 CID, 300 HP, 9.1;1 Comp Ratio, purchased in 1995) that I have an original Dual Quad (270 HP) Intake and Carbs on. Decided I was going to re-build carbs due to strong gas smell when I park the "Hot Rod"in the garage (tried everything else to get rid of smell including replacing gas tank, filler neck and gaskets, fuel lines, etc...).

I just removed both carbs and found a yellowish "scum" on the inside of the intake manifold directly beneath the carbs in the runners. This stuff is slightly gummy, looks like hell and can't be doing the valve train, rings, and the rest of the motor any good. WHAT IS THIS STUFF AND HOW DO I GET RID OF IT ??

It comes right uyp with a little bit of parts cleaner on a paper towel, but I can't get all the way down in the runners and don't want to spray a bunch of carb cleaner down them just to have it collect on top of the valves.

I use Shell Premium (93 Octane) almost exclusively and will gladly switch if anybody thinks that's the problem.

Any other tips on re-building these carbs would also be appreciated; first time I've done this in a LONG, LONG time.

Thanks,
Bernie O.

I used to rebuild my own carbs untill I had one profesionally done,I would highly recomened sending them out to a real carb rebuilder,there is one guy his name is Jerry Luck,he actually re-machines the machined surfaces,then replates every thing.what i thought rebuilding a carb was to clean and then replace all of the seals and seats and then reset and adjust it.Good Luck I have to find his card for you

I had two 1957 dual quad set up restored by a fellow in Oregon. Amazing work. Everything was replated and rebuilt to spec. He was very reasonable in price. He knows carbs and does not rush the job. I installed them on a fresh motor a couple months ago and they started up no problems. If you are interested I can send along his info.
57corvettengine.JPG

They look fantastic. I have 2 sets (56 and 61) that could both use a rebuild. Here is one source I know of. Chuck Smith has been around for a long time and recently did a set for an engine project in Rod & Custom magazine. If you are using them on a larger cube engine like your 350 or a 383 or 406 ect. he can build them to flow 850cfm and look just as stock as the picture above. He also does street rebuilds if they don't have to be perfect for judging.

I would like to know the info on the builder in Oregon too. We try to keep the info in the Portal as up to date and complete as possible.

http://www.chucksmithchevys.com/

Tom

Thanks for the info, but OR is little out of the way for me (I'm an East Coaster). I want to try this myself for now. Once I get them all screwed up I'll probably have to call in the experts, but as long as I dont burn the car down I'd like to see if I can make them work.

What I really want to know is what is this gunk down inside the intake manifold.

thanks,

Bernie O.

Thanks for the vote of confidence !!! (Just kidding) thought i'd give it a shot to see if I have ANY skills at all left. After I get the carbs all messed up, I'll have to call in the professionals, but for now I want to give it a shot on my own.

What I really want ot know is if anybody has any idea waht this yellow stuff is in the bottom of my intake manifold (and likely all over the valve train and piston tops).

Thanks,

Bernie O.

Bernie,

To answer your question it is what most people call varnish, residue from old fuel. You will find it around any old fuel system where gas has wept, check your lawn mower.

Vintagevette,

Do you have a vacuum nipple on the base of your rear carb?
I am installing a set I got with my new project. Can I call you to ask some questions about the dual quads? My email is awilco@hotmail.com.

Thanks
Andy

Andy,

That's what I suspected it was (varnish), just wanted some confirmation. I suppose it "washes" away as the car runs, at least I hope so. I wasn't planning on taking the intake manifold off to clean it, but now I might. I'm also guessing that this is where my gas smell is coming from; gas leaking out of the carbs. Hope my re-build stops that; my wife is about ready to throw me and the car out in the street !!

Just for your info: I do NOT have a vacuum nipple at the base of the primary (rear) carb. I may install one jut to see if it makes any kind of a difference in the performance. You can always just plug it back up.

Thanks,

Bernie O.

I've always used Bob Kunz (St. Louis, 314-845-2566) for WCFB's - his work on them is legendary, whether you want a street rebuild or complete NCRS cosmetic restoration in addition to the basic rebuild. He'll put them back to factory specs internally (lots of Bubbas have been into 50-year-old carburetors), and runs them on an engine before shipping. I've never had to do anything to the 2x4's he's done for me except tweak the idle rpm.
:beer

If you are planning to rebuild them yourself, as Tom mentioned,

http://www.chucksmithchevys.com/

is an excellent source for parts and information. He has all the goods needed to rebuild WFCB's. I think they are about $50 for a single kit, However, don't quote me.

PS Andy, I will email you my number and we can talk.

Thanks oWEN

Owen,

Thanks.

I like your air cleaners, do you know where I can get a set?

Thanks
Andy

Andy,

Email sent.

I actually just sold the car, so if you have questions about the carbs ask now.

Thanks oWEN

andy60 said:
Bernie,

To answer your question it is what most people call varnish, residue from old fuel. You will find it around any old fuel system where gas has wept, check your lawn mower.

Vintagevette,

Do you have a vacuum nipple on the base of your rear carb?
I am installing a set I got with my new project. Can I call you to ask some questions about the dual quads? My email is awilco@hotmail.com.

Thanks
Andy

Thanks Larry,

5 years into it, one summer of fun and now someone else can enjoy it. I got to the point I was afraid to enjoy it. I perfered it when it was in primer and had no carpet and I could drive it and not worry. Now I have to be within 10ft at all times it it leaves the garage.

After seeing all the resto mods on this site I have convinced myself to do one. If anyone has or knows of a 1957 project for sale I would be interested.

oWEN

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom