Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dumb question I have been meaning to ask

Wolverine

Corvette
1976 Bright yellow L82 4-speed
Are the controls for heat/air conditioning supposed to be lit up when the lights are on ('76 Vette)? I have had the console apart twice looking for a bulb, but couldnt' find anything. If it is supposed to be lit, where is the bulb?

Thanks!

I just went out to the garage to check mine out, because I recall my heat/air/vent levers being lit up, too....but there is no light "there".
The light is up near the top of the dash. Right in front of my center upper vents is a little "bump out" of plastic and on the bottom of that, is a tiny bulb. That is what supplies the light for the lower console directly underneath that bulb.
Heidi

Oh, that makes sense. No wonder I couldn't find a bulb - I was looking in the wrong place. Thanks for checking, Heidi!

Brian

Since I have a silver also Im running out to my garage tomorrow to check for this...I never knew it was there.Thx!

Yes, it is a specialty bulb though, and I can't seem to locate a replacement anywhere. A regular 194 bulb will fit and work...but not as well. The original was like a spot light bulb. The best I can read off the original bulb is 5558.

Anyone know where to find one?

- Jeremy

I would only be able to suggest the big Corvette catalog venders...
h

Yes it is a special bulb, don't use a 194 it will melt the housing, the correct bulb to use is #558 can be purchased at Napa, has a special lens in the tip of the bulb.
Steve

Here is a list of bulbs for 1981, I would think these would be the same for 78 ~ 82 ;)

Light Bulb List the bulb for the center console is called "A/C or Heater Control Panel Lamp". Most Local Corvette Specialty/Repair Shops have this bulb in stock ;) I've seen them priced anywhere from $3.75 ~ $12.00 each :eek . The 558 Bulb has a small magnifying tip on it to concentrate the light ;)

Sorry I'm not sure about Older Corvettes than 78 :confused ...

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom