Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dunn Head Confirmation

• Thread starter Thread starter RYokum
  • Start date Start date
R

RYokum

Hey folks... Just getting my feet wet with a ZR-1 that I'm picking up this Friday. I was looking at some information on '95's w/Dunn heads (both sides) I found on this site (http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c4/zr1/95prod.html). I compared that to the information I found at another site (http://zr1.net/ZR1_Production_color.html). There appears to be differences in the cars confirmed w/Dunn heads and specifically the one that I'm buying isn't confirmed here but is on the other site.

There are some cross-overs for information on both sites that do match up but I wanted to get to the bottom of this before I pick this car up. The owner claims that it's a Dunn head car.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy

What is the production number of your car? Do you know how to look to see if it is a Dunn head? Let me on your production number and I maybe able to help you.

Art

Art.... The production number is #360. The owner says it is and ZR1.net confirms that to be the case but when I looked at the information here it didn't have that number listed. I don't doubt the owner at all, I just want to figure this all out.

I'm supposed to pick up the car Friday (after we make our inspection which I don't think I'll find anything wrong) and I just want to make sure I have all my poop in group so to speak.

Thanks for the help!!!!! --Randy

Randy

To my knowledge that car has Dunn Heads. You do know how to check if it is a Dunn head or not correct? That car originated out of Ohio from Buds. Original owner was also in Ohio. In 2000 original owner sold it to Unique Corvettes in Setauket, NY. It sat there for a couple of years to my knowledge. When you inspect it, make sure the hood is repaired correctly. The original owner was up front with me when I was interested in buying the car about 4 years ago. Good luck and let us know how is goes.

Art

Dunn heads are stamped with "Dunn".

The stamp is near the top of the head, next to the cam cover. It's on the underside, where the top of the head meets the bottom side of the valve cover. Look near the dipstick on the right side of the engine and about the same place on the left head. You'll need a very small mirror angled towards the top of the head and the bottom cam cover to see it.

You should see "Dunn" with a number following it.

The Birmal heads are stamped in a similar manner. A few cars have one dunn and one birmal.

SPEEDEMON said:
Randy

To my knowledge that car has Dunn Heads. You do know how to check if it is a Dunn head or not correct? That car originated out of Ohio from Buds. Original owner was also in Ohio. In 2000 original owner sold it to Unique Corvettes in Setauket, NY. It sat there for a couple of years to my knowledge. When you inspect it, make sure the hood is repaired correctly. The original owner was up front with me when I was interested in buying the car about 4 years ago. Good luck and let us know how is goes.

Art
Yes, I know how to check them and I'll do that. I just wanted to make sure I was educated as much as I could be before I head down.

You mention the hood.... This is the second time I've heard about it. Someone else on another forum mentioned that when he saw the car in Carlisle a couple of years ago, he noticed a "dime" size area on the driver's side of the hood about half way down that was splintering but mentioned it wouldn't have prevented him from ownership. Is this what you are talking about? However, the owner says that there's "not one problem" with the car but those are his words and his standards. I have attached a photo for you to look at. It might be hard to tell from the photo. What do you think? --Randy

Randy

What I know was the original owner was up front with me and told me that the hood had a stress crack. I was in the process of flying out there to buy it. But at the time I had serveral cars to chose from and I decided to past on that one. But in your situation the 95's are getting harder to come by, so you don't have many chioces like I did. So just check it out and see and let us know when you get it home.

Art

I guess what I'm reading out of your post is that because the car is what it is that all else being equal, a small stress crack shouldn't prevent me from buying this car.

I've already had a bunch of friends give me hell about selling a 2002 Camaro SS for a 1995 Corvette ZR-1 but I just tell them ..... "you simply don't understand" and smile at them :).

RYokum said:
I've already had a bunch of friends give me hell about selling a 2002 Camaro SS for a 1995 Corvette ZR-1 but I just tell them ..... "you simply don't understand" and smile at them :).
A 1995 ZR-1 with Dunn heads is waaaaaaaaaaaay cooler. That's the most desirable Z ever made, IMO, and a piece of Corvette history. Take your friends for a ride in it and they won't bother you anymore.:upthumbs

Interesting discussion. There really are some serious experts kicking around here. Good looking photo. I love the green. Say, how much does one of these Dunn heads cars go for? (ballpark)

I know the Dunn heads are rare and supposed to flow better, but do they show up with more RWHP at the dyno? How much so?

-Burt

thxalot said:
Interesting discussion. There really are some serious experts kicking around here. Good looking photo. I love the green. Say, how much does one of these Dunn heads cars go for? (ballpark)

I know the Dunn heads are rare and supposed to flow better, but do they show up with more RWHP at the dyno? How much so?

-Burt

I have seen a few sale. One 95 with 53K miles sold for $25K another 95 with 20K miles sold for $31.4K. These are some asking prices from dealers 95 with 33K miles asking $32.9K another 95 23K miles asking $34.9 and a 95 with 42K miles asking $32K. I know that three of them had Dunn heads but I am not sure about the others. I hope this helps.

RYokum said:
I guess what I'm reading out of your post is that because the car is what it is that all else being equal, a small stress crack shouldn't prevent me from buying this car.

Randy

I don't understand why your buddies are given you hell. Hell don't those fools know that owning a ZR-1 is only a few and the proud. Also owning a ZR-1 is a few steps up from owning one of those F-Bodies. As I have heard in the past:

What separates the men from the boys are the price of their toys!

Believe me I had my share of F-Bodies, but it's time for you to move on and step up into the next eshelon. As for the stress crack anything is repairable, don't let that stop you from getting it. Good luck on your purchase.

Art

Thanks Art for all of the information. One things for sure.....the Camaro and Firebird owners have a "family" but it appears to me that Corvette owners (and ZR-1 even more so) have a Brotherhood.

The help that I've gotten even before this thing has hit my pavement has been great. Hopefully, if it's not raining here in Virginia on Sunday, I'll post some shots. --Randy

Yes, a late model '95 is the best ZR-1 made. The reasons why are self explanatory.

They only made 448
They are the last of the ZR-1 run
They had the latest updates
They had the 405 horse motor

Does that make them more desireable than say a 94? or a 93?

Later cars had a softer suspension, the later cars carried more weight (even though some carried less fuel).

I guess it boils down to one mans trash, is another mans treasure.

I do not think people feel that way. It is with most will say series of cars the last of the series has the most refinements. I know the ASR anti lock brakes, weather striping, wind noise, body and many more things were updated as they headed to the last C4. I had a 91 ZR1 then went to a new 92 ZR1. I thought the 92 was quieter and a stronger car which as we know can happen through all years. My favorite would be a Callaway Aero CR1 Vert. The ZR1's sound great in the upper rpm's but that can play havoc with your license. I think most of us feel a closeness to our cars and tend to over protect them. That is also why we personalize them to make them ours. They are all Vettes, each makes it own statement and I like them ALL.

I guess it boils down to one mans trash, is another mans treasure.[/QUOTE]

Ok, this is why I originally wrote "IMO", which means "in my opinion". I am not allowed to think what Z I feel is the best?

It is the newest, most refined model year. (The weight difference is marginal. The numbers I have studied show less than 100 pounds difference between the years).

Has the most options.

I like the '94-'95 interior the best.

I like the '95 side vents the best.

I like the '95 ZR-1 rims the best.

Its nothing to get all upset about, Jeff.

all the zr1s are phenomenal cars, I've owned a 90, 95
and currently have an LPE 93 475 (for sale, 36k)
and a 95 LPE 390 (505 rwhp). the 90 was a DRM 450 car, and was a "bargain blast" bought it 23k before the zr1 prices dropped and it seemed like a steal, (it was and is!!!) the 90 is very distinctive as the first model year and the different front end.

any model year of the zr1 represents an absolutely amazing car, the LT5 and drivetrain really set the car apart from other cars IMHO.

I love all corvettes but the ZR1 is something special to me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom