Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dyno shops in S. California?

M

Memf2dafizzo

Does anyone know of any GOOD dyno tuning shops in Southern California? I've read a few postings about dyno tuners that didn't do too great of a job. I want to leave the shop with a smile not a frown and knowing that the money I spent was well worth it. I've done a few mods to my 98 A4. Eventhough I can feel an increase in power I still want to have it checked out to make sure that everything is operating in a safe range. Mods: Hurricane Air Induction System, West Coast Corvettes Hi Flow Power duct, throttle body coolant bypass, 160 degree PowerStat, B&B Triflow headers and Corsa Daytona exhaust system. I used my Hypertech Power Programmer III but I'm looking for some fine tuning not just WOT tuning. Any references will be appreciated.

THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR CUBIC DISPLACEMENT!!

I know of several in the South Bay area: Darren San Angelo at R & D Dyno Service in Gardena; Danny Swanson at Swanson Performance in Torrance; Shawn Church at Church Automotive Testing in Torrance; and Glenn Hofstetter at DC Performance in Los Angeles.

Personally, I've been on Darren's dyno, but have only talked with Shawn and Danny, who is a Mustang guru, only I've only heard good things about Glenn (he's the Viper guy to see for this area I guess ).

Good luck and let us know what you find and how much power you turned out.

First dyno run

On 11/20/2004 I had my '98 auto (3.15 diff) dyno'd at Dyno Works, home of the world's fastest Dodge SRT-4 (11.1 @ 132). Dyno'd on a Dynojet 248 inground chassis dyno.

First run w/Hypertech Power Programmer III power tuning set up;
RWHP: 300.9 @ 5880
RWTQ: 309 @ 4480
Air/fuel ratio: 12.7 from 3280-6130 rpm's

Second run w/o Hypertech Power Programmer III power tuning set up (factory setting);
RWHP: 298.4 @ 5580
RWTQ: 308.3 @ 4560
Air/fuel ratio: 11.6 from 3280-6160 rpm's

Before I was hooked up to the dyno I was told that the Hypertech Power Programmer would not do much for the HP/TQ and that every car that has been dyno'd at Dyno Works showed a lean condition in the Hypertech power tuning set up. But I had to see it for myself and as you can see from the above info the technician was right. Is 12.7 AFR too much, or should I say "unsafe"? I really don't know. But I have seen in this forum that 11.6 is the normal AF ratio for the C-5. So with that said, I left the tuning in factory mode. I don't think that 2.5 extra HP and .7 extra lb.ft of torque is worth taking a chance for.

Now I'm not sure if my numbers are okay, bad or in the appropriate range considering the upgrades I have. But regardless of where my numbers should be I'm gonna have the car dyno tuned on 4 Dec if all goes well. My upgrades are;

Hurricane Air Induction System
WCC High Flow Power Duct
160 degree thermostat
Throttle body coolant bypass
B & B Triflow shorty headers
Corsa Daytona cat-back exhaust w/stock h-pipe.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this info as requested. BTW- I posted a 13.29 @ 106.69 at the California Dragway last month with these mods. Not too bad for my very first run ever. And that was on the original run flats (1998) at 32 PSI. 60 foot was 2.165. Hopefully I will better these times on my next outing. I'm installing a ProTorque torque converter before I make it back to the track.

Aw c'mon, ya gotta give us an address, and maybe a link to their web site if they have one. :CAC

The SRT-4 is the real deal. I seen it run the 11.4 that is posted on their website on 26 June 2004 at California Dragway. Here is the website: http://www.dyno-works.com/. I spoke with the owner of the car, David, and he's attempting to get into the 10's.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom