Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(E-Bay) SCAM ALERT!

*89x2*

I just saw this on e-bay and if this does not scream "SCAM" then I do not know what does. :eek

...Has anyone/should anyone contact e-bay on this - *note - seller of second "auction" is using an external e-mail - not contact form - Stolen I.D.???? :eek

Check out the following listing regarding a set of wheels for sale in the U.K.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=43957&item=7988464456

ANY OTHER QUESTION PLEASE CONTACT ME EMAIL:s3xinel16@yahoo.com

You are looking at a set of 4 Callaway rims from a 1988 Corvette car. They have been completely rebuilt and powder coated. These rims are in showroom quality perfect condition. The reserve on these extremely hard to find rims is reasonably placed at $750. Assuming you already had the rims, you would spend more than that just to have them rebuilt! Buyer pays actual shipping cost. Because of today’s world, I am not responsible for damages caused by the rims – the new owner assumes all liability by bidding on these rims.

bc_1_b.JPG

s.gif

ce_1_b.JPG

s.gif

61_1_b.JPG

s.gif

c3_1_b.JPG

s.gif

96_1_b.JPG

Now look at the following auction that I think most everyone here saw this weekend :eek

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7985431124&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ADS%3AMT%3A29

You are looking at a set of 4 Callaway rims from a 1988 Corvette car. They have been completely rebuilt and powder coated. These rims are in showroom quality perfect condition. The reserve on these extremely hard to find rims is reasonably placed at $750. Assuming you already had the rims, you would spend more than that just to have them rebuilt!

Buyer pays actual shipping cost.

Because of today’s world, I am not responsible for damages caused by the rims – the new owner assumes all liability by bidding on these rims.

callaway_1.JPG

callaway_2.JPG

callaway_001.JPG
callaway_002.JPG
callaway_003.JPG
callaway_004.JPG
callaway_005.JPG

Yep! I saw that and just reported it to Safe Harbor :D

BTW, besides the obvious copying of the pictures, the other giveaways that this is a scam include:
1) Out of Country listing
2) Very Short bid time - Nobody rightfully auctioning these would list them for 2 days, you would want as mcu exposure as possible.
3) No reserve (in conjuction with a very short bid time)

The seller is also selling a '57 Fender Stratocaster Guitar with the same characteristics as the Dymags which is a VERY valuable guitar.

-Luigi
:cool

Luigi, did e-bay respond to you yet?

The "auction" is still up and actually has a bid :eek

Funny thing is, it mentions the $750 reserve however, no reserve is in the pricing of the "auction" itself... :ugh

No they haven't - they have probably outsourced their Safe Harbor to a country far-far away :mad

At least there is hope that they can catch it before the auction runs out for that guy's sake :eek

-Luigi

Maybe Malcolm knows someone from a local corvette club in that area
he can check the rims out,

I will inform the guys in Holland just in case someone is thinking to get a bargain

Doubtfull if it is a real auction, but for anybody that is curious to find out I am in Tyne and Wear, I work in Newcastle, if anyone cares to come up with a contact number or address and they are real, no problem for me to pop in on the way home from work one night.

J.

JHL said:
Doubtfull if it is a real auction, but for anybody that is curious to find out I am in Tyne and Wear, I work in Newcastle, if anyone cares to come up with a contact number or address and they are real, no problem for me to pop in on the way home from work one night.

J.

I will send this guy an email, for an address to visit him.
When I get his address I will pass it on to you.

and if these rims are really there and on sale for only $ 99 , I am buying them immediately.

and even swim accros the canal to fetch them :D

Also sent a message to the guy who actually bid on these rims, with a link to this thread to inform him.

I sent a notice to ebay and now it is an Invalid Item. Stinking scammers

Ok , I had quite a few mails with the advertiser today,

the first thing which made me suspicious
the location of the item is in nothern UK
he told me he was in London which is southern UK.

It was not possible to see the wheels before buying.

after that I asked for payment on collection, this was not possible too
(very busy man) he could only ship them on payment which is suspicious again.

anyhow, I will finish my conversation with him and see if I can get a bargain on a set of Dymags ;)

will keep you informed

Jeroenvgfn said:
Ok , I had quite a few mails with the advertiser today,

the first thing which made me suspicious
the location of the item is in nothern UK
he told me he was in London which is southern UK.

It was not possible to see the wheels before buying.

after that I asked for payment on collection, this was not possible too
(very busy man) he could only ship them on payment which is suspicious again.

anyhow, I will finish my conversation with him and see if I can get a bargain on a set of Dymags ;)

will keep you informed

Jeroen, it is a scam - plain and simple - He has NO wheels ;) :ugh

That is rather funny, how you caught the fella in lies - this is yet another benefit of such a tight online communty - looking out for a scammer! :mad

Take it easy! :w

another good thing though,

I also contacted the person who placed the only bid.

This guy is named Ned and ownes 1987 #35 with only 1200 miles :W
He was just interested in them wheels because his 87 was not equipped with the dymags.

I introduced him to this forum So we might get a new member too.

:CAC

That's great, another new member, reeling em in! The more owners and followers together here, the better. WOW, He has a New One?

Glad that to see that they pulled it before the bidder paid anything. They also pulled the other fake item from the same idiot, an original 1957 Fender Stratocaster Guitar which would also be an expensive find. At least he/she has good taste ;LOL

-Luigi

Jeroenvgfn said:
another good thing though,

I also contacted the person who placed the only bid.

This guy is named Ned and ownes 1987 #35 with only 1200 miles :W
He was just interested in them wheels because his 87 was not equipped with the dymags.

I introduced him to this forum So we might get a new member too.

:CAC
Considering that you guys just saved him a lot of money and frustration, the least he could do is join us all at the best Vette community around.

Nice work fellas!:upthumbs

Guess who else got a second chance to buy for my top bid price :eyerole:

Carefull Josh.... Sometimes those second offer e-mails are scams too

Question everything!

-Luigi

...are you guys saying that the "seller" from the "fake auction" is contacting people from the real auction that ended w/ the real wheels and seeing if you want to buy the set that does not exist??? :ugh

YES that is what they are doing.
*89x2* said:
...are you guys saying that the "seller" from the "fake auction" is contacting people from the real auction that ended w/ the real wheels and seeing if you want to buy the set that does not exist??? :ugh

callaway4fun said:
YES that is what they are doing.

Ohh my! :eek

Hopefully they will not try to steal your e-bay ID next...

I believe the telltale giveaway the later auction was a scam, was that they had a secondary e-mail addy listed to contact w/ questions because if you asked the seller any questions it would go to their email address they registered w/ e-bay on - probably a stolen e-bay acct. :ugh or they don't want you to be able to find them WHEN there is a problem...

Whew, buyer beware! :ugh

...sounds like we have it covered though for "Scammers Beware!":w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom