Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ecklers or Corvette Central for steering wheel restoration?

Ajetsprt

Hi,
Has anyone used Ecklers or Corvette Central for steering wheel restoration? I know they both have someone else do it for them (not sure if they use the same person). My car is finally in for the winter and I am ready to pull the wheel and send it out

Thanks
Jim

I'm sure Corvette America does the work for both.

Contact them and eliminate the middle man.

Thanks... I called Corvette America and they said they do not do it for a 1992

Thanks... I called Corvette America and they said they do not do it for a 1992

Depending on how bad it is, you could try to do it yourself.

I went over mine with Kiwi leather dye, let it dry, repeated it, let it dry again and then buffed it out. It came out looking almost new.

Mine didn't have a bunch of tears or rips but it did have some fairly well worn spots which the multiple coats of dye filled in.

Just make sure the stuff is completely dry before you use the car or you'll end up with black hands. Buffing it out really makes it look nice and you can touch it up without removing it from the vehicle so long as you protect the seat and carpet from drops or spillage.

Just wanted to give a little feedback.... I decided to have Ecklers do the steering wheel restoration and it arrived today and I have to say it looks and feels awesome. I know they farm the work out but who ever does the actual work did a first rate job. With this last piece it now finishes the interior... Now if I can just get the original one off and the replacement on without breaking anything or setting the air bag off! That's the weekend project. Thanks to everyone

Just wanted to give a little feedback.... I decided to have Ecklers do the steering wheel restoration and it arrived today and I have to say it looks and feels awesome. I know they farm the work out but who ever does the actual work did a first rate job. With this last piece it now finishes the interior... Now if I can just get the original one off and the replacement on without breaking anything or setting the air bag off! That's the weekend project. Thanks to everyone

Glad you are happy with the replacement. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait 15 minutes, you should be safe concerning the air bag.
The FSM recommends a special steering wheel puller, but I was able to pull my 93 wheel using the same puller I've used for years, the only caution I would mention is not to thread the pulling bolts deeper than 1/2" into the wheel or you can damage the clockspring for the airbag.
I used grade 8 bolts 4 1/2" long, 5/16 coarse thread, I installed lock nuts on the bottom to prevent threading too deep, not completely necessary as long as you are careful. :thumb

Thanks. Any suggestions on how to remove the air bag?

Seem to recall removing two allen head bolts (4mm?) from the back of the wheel, pull the airbag toward you then unplug the electrical connector, installation is the reverse.

Thanks... I was able to easily get the air bag off and pull the wheel but ran into another issue... My horn always seemed like something was not right. Well when I pulled the air bag off a small piece of plastic (size of a nail clipping) fell out. Turns out it is a piece of the plastic sleeve that holds the wire for the horn in it's place. I am going to post it under a new thread. Hoping someone can guige me right on this. Makes no sense to put it back together if it has to all come apart again

Thanks to everyone who assisted in this thread

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom