Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

electrical issues...still/new

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Ok,turns out that it was a fried computer. I got another one from the dealer today.

Good news...when I tap the ECM, the car does not die.

BAD NEWS...The fans are on at all times. Granted I just let it idle for 5 minutes, but the temp was only 170*, and the AC was off. As far as I know, there is no reason for the fans to be on.

Is this something that the ECM must learn, or did I bet a defective ECM?

Thanks....

Mike

I'm not sure this is your problem, but when I got my Corvette I had a spare computer from my Camaro that had a better tune in it so I swapped the 'vettes computer for the Camaro's one. When I turned the key on the fans just came on and stayed on until I turned off the key.

I never tried to start it, but i wonder if they didn't give you a F-body pcm rather than a corvette one? Supposedly the Corvette PCM has another chip in it to control the BCM, and the Camaro's does not. So a Vette PCM can go in an F-body, but not the other way around.

Just a thought.

-Dave C.

Interesting....

I will have the part numbers double checked. Sounds like that might be the ticket.

I will post updates..

Thanks.
-Mike

Just talked to the dealer.
They ordered in another ECM, no questions asked. They are just going to swap them out.

Bad news is that I had them run the part numbers for an F and Y body. They come back with the same part number for the ECM.

I will let you know after I change out computers, in their parking lot!

-Mike

Same thing happened to me last year in that I bought a brand-new, but defective ECM. I discovered mine was bad when I saw the intake air charge reading -40°F in Bowling Green, KY with an ambient air temperature of about 90°! :hb

Luckily, they're relatively cheap. ;)

I am sure that there are more than two cases for the fans to come on, but the most common are:

1. Engine temp. (230* if you have factory settings +/-)
2. A/C is turned on.

Get this, the computer that the dealer was going to swap out the bad computer I had, and in return, they gave me one with half of the plastic wire connections busted, and there was rust on the housing. They did offer to get me another one after I brought it to their attention. Only thing is, they called me this morning and told me that there are not more computers locally. They were going to submit a request to GM and find out where they are and if they are on back order. :( They did offer to give the messed up one though if I did not want to wait.

And the game goes on.......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom