Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Emissions Tampering

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
I came across this in Charles O. Probst's book, Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Management. I thought it would be appropriate to post in light of the fact that many of us modify our cars, and we do have a tendency to bend, and quite often break, the rules. ;)
Fuel-injection systems are considered to be part of the emissons-control equipment. Modifying the fuel-injection system is, therefore, modifying the emissons system, and that raises some questions relating to federal laws as well as state laws.
  • You may have heard that only the professional technician is subject to a fine if he alters emission-contol equipment, but the owner is exempt from such restrictions, right? Once upon a time, yes. Today, wrong-o!

Now, under a 1990 amendment to the Clean Air Act, the $2500 fine extends to owners and individuals. Regardless of who does it, tampering is a Federal offense. But if your mods are on the E.O. list, that is not tampering.

Remember, there are several forms of modification:
  • "Strictly for the track." means that it is never to be driven on public roads.
  • "Street Legal" means that the government has certified it as not affecting emissions, and it is fine for the car.
  • For lack of a better word, "convertible" means that you can make changes after you arrive at the track, and then change back for the drive home. Some people may change chips, or (this is really hard) change the EEPROM calibration, and then change back. At the track, some change the stock MAF to a larger MAF, and then back to stock for the drive home.

Practically speaking, if the car is to be registered and driven on public roads, then the laws in your state and the legality of your modifications are more important than ultimate performance. You may think that you won't get caught, but you don't want to be identified as a "gross poluter" do you?

It's too bad our gobment don't go after the real polluters. And this year from what I understand, they're going to be more lenient with big industries. It's all about who lines the back pockets of politicians, not what or how pollutents are getting in the air.:hb

And it's all ok with me as soon as we're allowed to build 500 hp per wheel electric motors:bu

He's right, Bush is having the EPA make it easier on industry. They can replace some stuff as "rountine maint." and it will pollute more, but remain legal.

So if they can pollute more, why should I care?

You should have seen the 18 wheeler on I-95 the other day, trailing big, thick, streams of black smoke from the stack. Where's
the emission police for this guy?

Both are possible

I am glad to aver that my Corvette is both compliant with the California SMOG laws AND excitingly fast.

I commend the chip writer, Gary Leonhardt of Leonhardt Automotive for it.

Another's violation of emissions, whether it be corporate or other, does not allow me to sleep well if I hide in such a shadow. I have inhaled the crap in the air of LA, New York, Taipei, Athens, Bangkok and other cities; have seen the global haze grow day by day from the cockpit of various aircraft, as the third world adds more fumes with little regard for its effect.

I feel an internal peace knowing that my vehicular passion adds little to the problem for myself, my kids and you.

I agree. For me it's part of the challenge to make 'em fast and still be clean. Anyone can just pull pollution stuff off and go faster.

just pull pollution stuff off and go faster

and that's a maybe.

I ran my car for a short while with a 'test pipe' in place of the cat. There was little, if any, difference.

The power robbing smog equipment of the mid-70s is now integral to the proper functioning of the car. The Detroit engine boys really have it figured out, IMHO.

Supposedly the EPA is moving legislation onto diesel engines. It is my understanding that even the diesel powered passenger vehicles (pickup, etc.) are exempt from emissions. I could be wrong but that is what I've heard.

I work for the power industry, our company designs coal, gas, oil, etc. fired powerplants and I getting really weary of folks griping about industry pollution. A lot of the powerplants in this country run cleaner than your car - relatively speaking. They put out more pollution because they burn more fuel, not necessarily because they are dirtier. It takes a lot more money and time to bring any industrial process to a "clean state of being" than it does a car. Cars are redone every year. Most factories are not completely redesigned even every ten years. Everyone gripes about how dirty industry is, but they'd gripe about prices going up to pay for quicker compliance as well. Really, we're still griping and dealing with the smog equip. on our cars...and that began in 1975. From my point of view, since I do the design work for living, industry is not that far behind. Of course there are some cheaters and crooks out there who skimp on the EPA stuff.

At nearly every powerplant I visit, the operators really want to run cleaner. It’s just that the EPA has made everything so difficult and expensive to do it takes a long time to get new designs/work approved and installed. After all, momma wants her curlers to work every morning and dad likes to watch the news when he gets home. Our power grid is so overworked no one can afford the downtime to do large-scale changes at one outage. We have had several jobs for electric utilities that have been canceled because the cost involved in the paperwork is more expensive than the job itself. If we didn’t have so many cheaters in this country/world the EPA wouldn’t have to be so specific in its details (to hold feet to the fire) and more progress could be made. Plus, what would our elected officials do all day if they weren’t writing complex legislation? They have a hard enough time earning their money and perks as it is.

BTW, the "routine maintenance" work that is known as EPA exempt keeps my grandmother's heater on in the winter. And it is not exactly exempt anyway.

It always tickles me to see activists on TV griping about petro-powered cars and smog belching factories, and then drive home to their air-conditioned homes and grab a drink from the fridge after a hot shower. Actually the pumps for their water use electricity – I wonder if they are aware of that? If they're really that upset about it they ought to stop using electricity and save a little pollution themselves. I believe in what they are saying but it’s a little hypocritical, in fact they use more electricity while they’re on TV because they displace some other important story that needs to be broadcast. It’s a funny situation to me.

No don't get me wrong I am all for clean air, but some things take time to change - even to figure out how to change them. Gas powered cars are not the biggest contributors to dirty air but it sure does turn my stomach when someone talks about their new exhaust system or other mod after throwing out their smog equip. I always take the opportunity the chastise anyone bragging about an environmentally irresponsible performance upgrade.

Uh, sorry about that…

Smog gear isn't the be-all or end-all for vehicle pollution- not by a stretch.

I live in an area where smog tests are required every year for older cars and every two years for newer ones. My 1973 is pre-cat, pre-AIR pump, pre-all-that-smog-crap, pre-computer, pre-electronic fuel injection, according to the technician who drolls each year when I bring my beastie in, my car produces scores which equal or better whatever Detroit (or Tokyo) are currently producing. Certainly, in comparing to what my wife's 97 sport-ute produces, my Vette is not a polluting vehicle.

There are no "secrets" here. I keep her maintained, tuned up and driven regularly. The gas now-a-days is supposedly better. That's all, folks!

A real gearhead, someone who cares for their vehicles, will have an engine that burns as clean, and probably even cleaner, as that required by the EPA. It's the idiots who know nothing about motor vehicles, and do not want to learn (yet still want to drive), that cost the rest of us to pay. And pay we do; now where'd I see that post about the California Certification option code... :L

Oh yeah, and because of where I live, I am subject to "random" testing when registration becomes due, instead of bi-annually. That means I could possibly have to pay every year I register the vehicle. :hb

_ken

By the way Mike, I hear what you're saying about people griping. I worked in a refinery for twenty years and everyone wants gasoline but nobody wants the refinery in their neighborhood (aka NIMBY groups), even though the refinery was the reason the neighborhood was born in the first place. People want to fly, they want to drive, enjoy their boats, enjoy the benefits of electricity - as well as nuclear power...

Shoot, if they could only imagine what it was like in the real old days. :L

Ken said:
.... everyone wants gasoline but nobody wants the refinery in their neighborhood (aka NIMBY groups), even though the refinery was the reason the neighborhood was born in the first place. People want to fly, they want to drive, enjoy their boats, enjoy the benefits of electricity - as well as nuclear power...
There's a new acronym for people who are one step worse than the NIMBYs of the world. They are CAVE people.... Citizens Against Virtually Everything. :L

¿Are you talking to me? ;LOL ;LOL

No, seriously very nice thread. I always learn something and enjoy reading you guys and I think; like Ken says:

"A real gearhead, someone who cares for their vehicles, will have an engine that burns as clean, and probably even cleaner, as that required by the EPA. It's the idiots who know nothing about motor vehicles, and do not want to learn (yet still want to drive), that cost the rest of us to pay. And pay we do"
(I could'nt say it any better, anyway most of you know I hardly speak english!!!):L

Hoops!!! Didn't see the date until now! ;shrug

Ken said:
Practically speaking, if the car is to be registered and driven on public roads, then the laws in your state and the legality of your modifications are more important than ultimate performance. You may think that you won't get caught, but you don't want to be identified as a "gross poluter" do you?
Which is why it's great to not live in a Nazi run state. My car has no cats, different cams, and barely meets emissions. But it's not driven daily either.

nbmvbj,mvhjk

Everyone is so concerned with these emissions controls. Us Corvette people love to bend and break the rules. Makes life fun, the more rules you break, the more exciting it is. For example..... I have been working on some mods lately, as a result, I have been runnig on open headers for about 2 weeks now. I wonder how the environmentalists like me now ;LOL

Keep on truck'n

corvette66 said:
Everyone is so concerned with these emissions controls. Us Corvette people love to bend and break the rules. Makes life fun, the more rules you break, the more exciting it is. For example..... I have been working on some mods lately, as a result, I have been runnig on open headers for about 2 weeks now. I wonder how the environmentalists like me now ;LOL

Keep on truck'n
Life is real you don't own your car or house or kids just your dog.
dont pay your taxes and its all gone.
Smog what a laugh 1969 camaro smog equiped and air pump that just blew some air into my factory headers, what a joke!!
That was my first new car.
every one forgets about the 1984 olympics in LA no smog then why because they shut down the refineries and re routed all the 18 wheelers outside of LA
the air was clean that summer?:D

can you have no cat....or cats....pass emissions barely or by a great margin....and still be legal? Obviously I am referring to a late model vehicle. Just curious.......I was under the impression in the broader scope of environmental protection it was illegal to remove them ...or to render any emission control device useless....

Nazgul said:
I was under the impression it was illegal to remove them ...or to render any emission control device useless....
It is. To the tune of a $2500 Federal fine.

I am a bit of a NIMBY on many scores, just as you guys are who own property in a nice area. I think it is called ZONING.

I also travel to parts of the world with no (Nazi- what an extremist word) laws and cough and squint at the air quality. My neighbors, no matter how far downwind, breathe easier and I sleep better knowing my car is fast as hell AND CLEAN. This is no concentration camp, and balance IS reasonable.

Classic cars and high performance cars do not, at the margin, increase air pollution. Emissions controls have made automobliles in general burn 80% cleaner. We are at the point where further advances can't justify further costs. It's called the law of diminishing returns. High performance cars of today don't run any "dirtier" than typical passenger cars and they don't burn any more fuel unless you put your foot in them. Classic cars/muscle cars, while they don't burn as clean are insignificant because there aren't that many of them and most of them aren't driven daily. The EPA and the Clean Air Act are firmly ensconced and those people have to do something! Wish they would just leave us alone.

On the other hand, I think is is irresponsible to remove emmissions controls to gain a few horsepower on a car that already has plenty. The real challenge is hosrepower increases with the emissions intact!

Lastly, I LOVE the CAVEman acronym!

It is of my professional opinion through many years of experimentation and many hours of trial and error that, if properly maintained, any fossil fueled engine regardless of age, will be in "compliance" and will meet all of the past and current Federal guidlines for a clean burning vehicle. It is those who neglect their responsibilities and allow the oil burning, gas waisting vehicles to continue operating without making proper part replacements. I do realize their are people who do not have the resources to properly maintain a car. But, in my expressed opinion, those are the ones who the governing agencies should be trying to help or whatever... instead of causing the general population to pay dearly for things such as cats, air pumps, computer controlled systems, etc. that are completely un-needed when a engine is properly maintained.
A properly maintained C2 corvette will not produce any more polutants than a brand spanking new C6. This has been proved time and again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom