Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

emmission quagmire, what to do

like2drive

Corvette
1981 beige
Here in NC, the emission laws that pretain to the 1981 models require that what ever "emission equipment" the car had originally, has to be on the car and "appear" to be functional. There is leeway in "Appear" . As long as it was installed originally, it has to be installed during emission inspection. There is no actual tailpipe or any other testing.

Well, because I swapped trannys from automatic to manual 4 speed, I now need a corresponding PROM change because of the 4 speed....in order to get optimum gas milage. Hypertech is out because requires 93 octane. I've called many salvage yardes and good friends' cousins & enemies,...but I can not find a suitable PROM, even if I was willing to buy the entire computer.

SOO..I'm throwing in the towel, and want to switch to a carb & distributor that will "appear" stock....On the '81, the distributor has the coil on top & would be obvious if a conventional Dist. was used. Also, the Quadjet, has a computer controlled TPS, etc. which would make THAT hard to camoflouge. I want to disconnect the computer which controls the dist & carb, & buy another non-computer controlled dist. & carb.
OK Gang!!!! Sock it to me!! How in the well do I do this? It may be that the air cleaner will not come off the carb which will help Thanks again for your efforts on my behalf....jim

Jim:
Install pre-81 HEI dist ... it also has coil on top in cap, 4-pin module and BOTH vacuum and mechanical advances ... dunno if it would satisfy inspection. I have a couple NEW ones like this at reasonable price. Please EMAIL through CAC if interested.

A rebuilt Qjet for any sbc 350made before about 75 should work well ... dunno if it would satisfy inspection.

No tailpipe test? I'd suggest you gut the stock cat once computer is disabled.

All that time spent looking for prom, hiding stuff etc ... maybe better to focus on schmoozing to get an "in" at NC inspection center. Might be the cheapest fifth of liquor you ever sprang for.
JACK:gap

Just because Hypertech 'requires' 93 octane doesn't mean you have to use it. Predator has the same requirements, but my Silverado runs fine on regular.

Ecklers sells two types of chips..I think..

1981 Hypertech Street Runner Power Chip With Manual Transmission
Part# A8994

$137.99 EA.

Qty:
Usually Ships In 8 Business Days

Produces Instant Power

Improves Throttle Response

Easy 15 Minute Installation

Would you like to reduce your 0-60 elapsed times by almost a ½ second, add up to 20 horsepower to your engine without a single modification or have your Corvette be 2.6 car lengths faster? You can realize these improvements by installing the Hypertech Power Chip. At wide open throttle, the Power Chip selects an optimum spark advance and air/fuel ratio, thereby by allowing the engine to perform way beyond the limitations imposed by the stock chip. And because the Power Chip only affects the wide open throttle operation, fuel economy is unaffected. The Hypertech Power Chip is available in 2 types. Street Runner is designed for stock or slightly modified Corvettes and will yield the results mentioned above. Thermo Master has been further modified to allow the use of a cooler thermostat (160 degrees). A cooler engine, of course, will make more power than a hot engine.

jack, rat, jdp6000

Very noble of you to help, thanks!
Jack, while I know a few owners who have succeeded in getting by w/bogus emission inspection, no station that I've talked to would even consider letting me slide or deviating. The fine is $25000 plus loss of business license; plus they have roaming "inspectors" that will sit across the street and video the process and/or pretend to be a typical motorist....really sucks. To make it harder to understand, you have to be inspected in your home county where I have some good friends but ...no dice.

Rat, 93 octane...so you are using 87 and no problem? Very interesting. According to jdp6000's info, the Hypertech "only affects WOT performance" If this is true, then I'd be no better off....would I? (wood eye, in spanish)
Incidentially, since I put a flexfan, removed the AC, I run cool anyway....around 140 to 180 depending on the ambient temp. thanks, again. jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom