Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Engine Cleaning

S

Skylark

When cleaning the engine with a pressure sprayer , with the top covers off, is there any danger of water damage to the coils or, anything that would normally be protected by the covers?

Thanks

Les;shrug

oh no!

;squint:

I wouldn't let a pressure washer near any piece of equipment that I care about.

That thing will blast and strip lube from so many places it would make your head spin.

I made this mistake with my old 72 John Deere lawn tractor, my favorite despite that fancy Honda I have.

It was only a light wash down to get the mud and caked grass from the wheels and bottom of deck (part of my ground is swampy) and a whole bunch of things like gear spindles, steering fitting had to be regreased.

After I was done, I had a one speed tractor.

Power washing .... I limit it to the wheels ... on my other cars .... :eek:hnoes

I have heard that it is not advisable to use a pressure washer on your engine because the pressure can force water where it shouldn't be in addition to possibly damaging gaskets. Anyway, just what I've heard. ;shrug

I'm not talking about a high pressure washer. More like a sprayer at a do-it-yourself car wash, with the nozzle held back two or three feet. I've used those to clean my car engines for years with no adverse affects but, none of those had the kind of electronics (coils) hanging out on top of the valve covers that the Vette does. I just don't know how water proof those things are.

I understand what your asking and i'd be more inclinded to use pink stuff or simple green and a light rinse with a garden hose.

That does sound like a better (safer) plan. Thanks for the feed back.:):)

I agree with vettboy. I believe the guys at Corvette Fever magazine also discourage using any type of pressure washer on the engine.

Make sure NOT to direct water to the area between the plastic intake manifold and the metal cover below it. There is a thin foam strip to "TRY" to keep water out of this area, should water enter, you run the risk of it seeping into the two knock center cavities which will eventually cause them to rust, fail, create a check engine light/code and unfortunate repair bill.

Simple Green is your friend.

Trust me on this one!:eyerole

Andy

Thanks Andy. I haven't got around to cleaning it yet but, I appreciate the advice.

Les

I use the spot free water at the DIY places. The pressure is more like a sprinkle but I don't remove the covers and don't spray a lot of water in that area. It's more of a dusting and the spot free water doesn't leave spots. Once you get the engine spotless, a sprinkle rinse should be all you need. The secret is to NOT let the engine get so dirty that you think you need to take a high pressure hose to it.

One thing about a clean engine is a mechanic will treat your car with a lot more love if you're not shoving grease and grim under his fingernails. Plus, I can check my oil when I'm wearing a light colored suit without getting my hands dirty. That sounds girly but hey, I'm too old to be cool anymore.

Don't use Simple Green,Purple Power, 409, or any other Caustic Cleaners,they'll rot the rubber and seals over time!!:eek:hnoes

I use Lemon Joy in a yard sprayer!!And pressure wash the hell out of them with Hot Water,Blow them off with Air and Drive them Off!! Remember Hot Water, COLD Engine!! If you use COLD Water and a Hot Engine,water will get sucked into places you don't want it as it Cools!!:upthumbs
I ain't skeered,I've been cleaning them since before I was Driving them!!:D:D:D

interesting...
I worked for a car dealership, detailing cars in the late 60's. we splashed
kerosene, let in sit for 5 minutes and then, blasted the motor down with a hi pressure water.

I wonder how many engines failed after that treament?

interesting...
I worked for a car dealership, detailing cars in the late 60's. we splashed
kerosene, let in sit for 5 minutes and then, blasted the motor down with a hi pressure water.

I wonder how many engines failed after that treament?

In all fairness, engines back in the 60's were not made out of exactly the same materials used in today's engines so you're not comparing apples to apples here. I'll admit that I use the harshest crap I can on my 79' daily driver but it's not fuel injected nor does it have any smog equipment on it. Just a basic 500hp small block Chevy.

meano_engine.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom