Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor...96 LT4

1996 LT4 Topic
Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
Just got an SES light on my LT4. Pulled a PO118 (ECT Sensor). At the same time both my temp gauges (analog & digital) basically quit working.

Had some work done at Exotic Muscle and I think they might have broken it (or disconnected it)
when they re-installed my camber brace. Is the the ECT Sensor located in front of the engine near the water pump? I remember (vaguely) that the instructions for the camber brace install said to be careful not to damage "sensor" when working in there, but I'm guessin' that the sensor they were referring to was the ECT Sensor. Am I right? What are the implications of the sensor being bad and is it an emergency fix or can I wait a few days and drive it like this until I can get it back to them? Car is my daily driver...

Car seems ok but I don't want to @#$! up anything else by not fixing it right away.

URGENCY LEVEL????

Thx,
Jeff

Update...

OK, I let the engine cool (a bit) and checked around the front of the water pump and...Voila...found the plug to sensor...unplugged. With the camber brace in there it is a @#$#! to get to but once the engine cools enough I'm gonna try and plug her back in. Should (would be nice but it's never that simple) solve my problem. Wish me luck... :)

I'd be paying a visit to the people that worked on the car as well.
Hope this story has a happy ending!

-John

JEFNLSA said:
Update...

OK, I let the engine cool (a bit) and checked around the front of the water pump and...Voila...found the plug to sensor...unplugged. With the camber brace in there it is a @#$#! to get to but once the engine cools enough I'm gonna try and plug her back in. Should (would be nice but it's never that simple) solve my problem. Wish me luck... :)

You gotta unplug that thing everytime you do anything that involves removal of the belt (you can get around it, but will probably break it off if you don't unplug it). I have forgotten to re-plug that thing in at least 10 times over the years. don't know what it is about it, just easy to forget:)

Vettelt193 said:
You gotta unplug that thing everytime you do anything that involves removal of the belt (you can get around it, but will probably break it off if you don't unplug it). I have forgotten to re-plug that thing in at least 10 times over the years. don't know what it is about it, just easy to forget:)

I'm tellin' ya, you gotta be a freakin' contortionist to get that baby plugged back in w/ the camber brace in the way. I've went out twice and tried and can't get it. My hands are too BIG! :mad Maybe the 3rd times a charm.

JEFNLSA said:
I'm tellin' ya, you gotta be a freakin' contortionist to get that baby plugged back in w/ the camber brace in the way. I've went out twice and tried and can't get it. My hands are too BIG! :mad Maybe the 3rd times a charm.

from what i remember, it is easier to get at with the intake ducting off... if you can't get to it, you may consider taking that off, since it is only 2 clamps. either way, good luck:)

All of you are so RIGHT!!!

PITA.

They are also very prone to breaking. Ask me how I know!

Good luck! Nice, at least, to find the source of your problem.

Save The Wave! :w

UPDATE:

OK, I finally realized (can't see in there w/ camber brace) that the reason I couldn't get it plugged in was because the end was broken off the sensor. So I buy a new sensor and go to install it and realize the guy (at Chevy) sold me the wrong one - although I told him repeatedly that I needed the one for the front (not side) of the motor. Shoulda taken the old one out 1st. Anyway, that night of repairs is shot. Next day after work, I go to Chevy and exchange for the correct sensor. Head home and install it - PITA but done. Plug it in and put the car back together, turn the key and no temp gauges. WTF? Now I'm hot! OK, I know I plugged it in etc... OK, I take the ducting off again to check what's up and I see that (after removing the connector) the wires to the connector are #$%!ed up. AAAHHHHH! Actually here's the funny part, (I left this little tidbit out) when ( after numerous attempts - could see the sensor end but didn't realize it was supposed to have a cap around it for the connector to snap to - yeah IDIOT!) I couldn't get it plugged in I went ( to Chevy) and bought a new pigtail (connector end w/ wire) but realized before the install that I didn't need that part but I needed the sensor itself. So I returned the pigtail. So here I go back to Chevy to once again buy the part that I originally purchased in the 1st place. AAAHHHH! So, after a little splicing and soldering and TIME, AND ALOT OF SWEARING (did not want to remove camber brace but boy was that #$%!er in the way!), I plugged the new pigtail into the new sensor and.... $60 in parts later (#$@!) BINGO, we have gauges.

END OF STORY!

thx for listenin'...:D

The exact same thing happened to me. But, I do not have the camber brace.

The end broke off and I did not realize right away that the sensor was missing part of itself. Kinda like me, sometimes. :L

Maybe in the future, a little easier if you remove the camber brace? Just a thought! :)

Jeff,

FYI the oil temp sensor is the same part number/ same part. I busted mine while installing headers. The Chevy dealer wanted $37. Got the correct part from Advance for $6.

:w

lt4man said:
The exact same thing happened to me. But, I do not have the camber brace.

The end broke off and I did not realize right away that the sensor was missing part of itself. Kinda like me, sometimes. :L

Maybe in the future, a little easier if you remove the camber brace? Just a thought! :)

So, I'm not alone...:L

You live & learn ;) .

Hrtbeat1 said:
Jeff,

FYI the oil temp sensor is the same part number/ same part. I busted mine while installing headers. The Chevy dealer wanted $37. Got the correct part from Advance for $6.

:w

Yeah they eat you alive for that "genuine GM parts" thing.

I may have to try the alternative in the future. See, I'm already planning for the next mishap...NOT GOOD! :L

I used to tell the wife that "I'm finished" BUT I've learned that "finished" and "vettes" should not be used in the same sentence. :L :L

I had the same thing happen to me. It was a pain to get back on.

I would be eternally grateful to find out where you got the pigtail. I've been looking for that pigtail for MONTHS. I'm in california and my dealers don't have it, neither does Mid America or any of the other vette part guys.

I have several e-mails out there to sensor manufacturers, etc. but as of yet, no luck!

Ha sounds like one of my typical clusters weather I am working on one of my cars or the house it don't matter it is always a cluster. I walk in your shoes brother

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom