Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

engine identification

delorenzos

Corvette
1963 Daytona Blue Convt.
Does anyone know where the engine suffix id numbers can be found on a 63. If trying to identify my block to see if it is a L75 or L76. Most of the parts point to a L75. Altough, without the original air cleaner things have been changed. The filler neck dosn't have the nipple for the air cleaner. The PCV valve attaches to the carb but it dosn't have threads. The crankcase fitting is for a 64 or later model.
So before I completely restore to original, I want to be sure what motor it is. It has steel valve covers pointing to a 300hp. The block has matching numbers if someone was thinking that. I was told that this was a fuelie, but I think that is a lot of bull.
I just installed power steering, waiting for the coupler to finish. The next project is power brakes. I've been studying what was needed to install when I realized that the vacuum hoses, and crankcase fittings didn't match.

Scot

The suffix letters are stamped on the pad at the front of the passenger side head. The pad is actually a portion of the block deck surface. You should find a number starting with the letter F and then a few date numbers followed by a 2 letter suffix. The suffix letters are what you are looking for.

You should also find a seperate stamping that has your car's vin on the same pad.

Tom

You mentioned your car is "matching numbers", so just inspect the area where those numbers are on the block. Assuming your car is a 4 speed the suffix for L75 is RD. The suffix for L76 is RE. If by some lucky chance it is a fuelie, the suffix will be RF.

Now if it is a 250HP it will be a RC.

These are for 4 speed applications.

Automatic 250 HP would be SC and automatic 300 HP would be SD.

It should also have a derivative of the car's VIN stamped on the outboard end of the block pad - should look like the photo below, except yours would start with a "4", followed by the last six digits of the car's VIN (on the VIN plate below the glove box door). :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom