Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Engine numbers

Corvette
78 Restro
Hi all, for some reason I can't find my book with codes. ;shrug :W So, can someone give me some info on an engine number? The numbers on the right front of the block are V0913CHW. Any help identifying this block would be helpful.

Gary

I can only come up with the CHW= L 48 4 speed.

Well this is a good start; At least that matches what I was told. Now I just need to know if I can confirm a production year. I'll have what I need to know. I am looking to build a new motor and don't want to pull this one out until I am ready to put the new one in.

My corvette has some modification from stock. The drivetrain is all matching numbers; Motor, Transmisson and Rear end. Even the glass is what it came with and is engraved with the cars serial number.

Gary

V0913CHW=

engine built in the Flint Michigan plant on September 13th for a '78 Corvette, L48. What does the other stamp on the pad say ?

BTW- how can you state that your car is 'matching numbers' if you're only asking about them now?

im sure you know this already but if your trying to figure out if the engine is original a partial vin # should be stamp in that same location.

V0913CHW=

engine built in the Flint Michigan plant on September 13th for a '78 Corvette, L48. What does the other stamp on the pad say ?

BTW- how can you state that your car is 'matching numbers' if you're only asking about them now?

Thanks for the information, that was what I was looking for. Had to confirm the numbers. As I said, I can't find my book with all the codes. I have check all the number a few years back after I got this car. What I am checking now is another block to rebuild so I'll have a right year replacement ready to drop in. I plan to keep the one that came with the car just so I'll have.

Gary

If the engine you are asking about is the replacement block, why would you worry about what car it came from, or dates etc?

But it's your car.:thumb

I am trying to keep major parts as correct as I can when it comes to model & year codes. There are some things that can be improved on, but the base engine is not one of them.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom