Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Paint Options??

M&W's72vette

Corvette
Idaho's only twin turbo big block 72 vette
What kinds of paint works good for engines? I need a bright yellow for the latest project engine I'm working on and am looking for somthing that will stay on good and not burn off around exhaust ports on heads ect.

Thanks,
Mike in Idaho

Just go down to the local auto parts store and get some hi-temp paint, did mine in red and it still looks new from over a year ago. If you can't find yellow maybe your local hot-rod shop can get you some, I think VHT makes yellow. If all that fails try Eastwood. Make sure everything is squeaky clean before you spray it on.

Yep, what Scott said....and, use BRAKE CLEANER spray to prep the surface free and clear of oil.

Finally, get the 500 degree clear coat, and put two or three coats of clear over the yellow for a spectactular wet fresh look all the time.

What's the fastest and easiest way to get old dried out peeling paint off the engine so that you can have a nice clean bare surface to paint over? Will brake clean strip of the old paint or would paint stripper do the job?

C3forME said:
What's the fastest and easiest way to get old dried out peeling paint off the engine so that you can have a nice clean bare surface to paint over? Will brake clean strip of the old paint or would paint stripper do the job?

This is a combo of brake cleaner, a scraper, and some sand paper, or scotch brite pad.

Engine paint once flaked, tends to peel up pretty easy.

Thanks Chris! :upthumbs

POR-15 comes in several colors, I don't know if yellow is one of them or not. I do know it is an excellant paint for an engine. It will out last anything you can buy at the autostore hands down. it will hold its shine without clear on top and will last almost forever. this is fact. I will try and get mike to post a picture of a BB chevy that has been painted with Por-15 semi gloss black, for over 3 years now and it looks like i did it yesterday. This stuff is tuff. robert

Engine paint options

I have tried both yellows from the por 15 line and they arent very pretty yellows. The hardnose paint looks like catapillar construction equipment yellow and it has too much brown in it. The engine paint they have is very pale and looks washed out even with 4 or 5 coats. I also looked in the eastwoood catalog and they dont have much there either. I think Chris had the right idea painting with regular engine paint and using high temp clear over it to keep it looking glossy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom