Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ethanol in Gasoline

1988 corvette

Corvette
1988 BLACK & SADDLE CONVT
I have a 1988 Corvette. Should I worry about 10% Ethanol in Gasoline? I can think of all types of potential problems but am not sure if 10% is going to cause a problem.
Thanks. :w

Ethanol can damage your injectors . Those fuel systems were not designed for it. I also noticed a drop in gas mileage when I used it.

Glenn
:w

it will cause problems eventually. Eth hardens certain rubber hoses. Also plastics like on wire insulation. Your MPG will drop, lots and it'll take much more of the pedal to get the same results. Just keep an eye on things. it takes some time to ruin a hose.
Nissan had a major recall of older cars, including a 300zx that I had due to eth rotting the hi pressure rubber fuel line which would break, leak and start a nice roaring fire....on the freeway. WHOOPIE!

Nissan replaced all injectors, all rubber lines and pumps. Nice job that did not cost me a penny. all over useless ethanol.

How to send a corn farmers daughter to college?
sign up on the ethanol aggricultural bandwagon and then its a simple matter of walking out to the mailbox to get that subsidy check.

Think I'm gonna plant a crop on my patio and sigh up....

Avoid ethanol if you can. It will ruin your injectors over time. Most people have replaced their injectors with newer style ones that can take the ethanol.

Scott

Avoid ethanol if you can. It will ruin your injectors over time. Most people have replaced their injectors with newer style ones that can take the ethanol.

Scott
Hi, The injectors on my 88 ohmed out ok but they dripped/slobbered and would not hold pressure. I'm not sure if age or ethanol was the reason. I went with the Bosch III's, I hope their ethanol friendly. In my neck of the woods there is only one gas station that's ethanol free and that's what I've been using...

10% ethanol will not immediately harm any fuel components and even over a long period of time probably never will. But it will affect driveability, power, and fuel mileage. I would avoid it if you can. I am stuck with it in my area.

I only have a couple of stations in my area that do not have ethanol so I use tham. I loose 10% gas mileage when I have to use the ethanol gas. It is an economic thing so the gas companies cam make more money and furnish us with a lower grade fuel. Ethanol cost about 1/2 the cost of gasoline to produce, if my math is correct they make an additional $200,000.00 per 1,000,000 gallons produced. It then takes 10% more fuel to go the same distance there is another $200,000.00 that they make on that same million gallons. And we wonder who is really running things.
Mike

Would that ethanol help remove water like that Heat stuff? I usually dump Heat in during the winter months. Don't know if that does anything though.

It is an economic thing so the gas companies cam make more money and furnish us with a lower grade fuel. Ethanol cost about 1/2 the cost of gasoline to produce, if my math is correct they make an additional $200,000.00 per 1,000,000 gallons produced. It then takes 10% more fuel to go the same distance there is another $200,000.00 that they make on that same million gallons. And we wonder who is really running things.
Mike

I think you've got your numbers backwards. It cost 50% more to make ethanol from corn per BTU than gasoline, not 50% less.

....then it takes 30% more to produce an equal amount of energy. Ethanol is here because of enviromental BS with Washington telling the people that it will save the air.....Just recently have enough people figured out that 10% ethanol drops their MPG by 20-30%, and cost more, so wheres the upside?
The general public is figuring out the ethanol scam. I used to get just under 30mpg with all its mods, (higher power to weight ratio) if I babied it. Now, i'm lucky to see 21-23 going down a hill. From 19 city down to 13. Because of ethanol.
Yeah, I'm gonna go fill up, take a road trip and buy some carbon credits for my shop.

uh-huh, yep, I am, lol
E-85...avoid at all cost. Thats bunny hugger gas

....then it takes 30% more to produce an equal amount of energy. Ethanol is here because of enviromental BS with Washington telling the people that it will save the air.....Just recently have enough people figured out that 10% ethanol drops their MPG by 20-30%, and cost more, so wheres the upside?
The general public is figuring out the ethanol scam. I used to get just under 30mpg with all its mods, (higher power to weight ratio) if I babied it. Now, i'm lucky to see 21-23 going down a hill. From 19 city down to 13. Because of ethanol.
Yeah, I'm gonna go fill up, take a road trip and buy some carbon credits for my shop.

uh-huh, yep, I am, lol
E-85...avoid at all cost. Thats bunny hugger gas

Do you know if the Phillips 66 are good gas stations? That is the only one that I know of that has no ethanol. But the gas station looks kinda crappy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom