Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust mod ?

Corvette
1990 ZR1 BLACK/RED 2865
What do you think? I have a 90 ZR-1 with a stock 95 exhaust system, Its just too quiet ! I want it a little louder, not much, just a little rumble. I’m thinking about replacing the resonator with an “X” pipe and leave the rest of the system alone. Anyone done this? Thoughts?

I would definitly do an exhaust system. My fav. which I have on my KOTH is Corsa cat-back system, great HP gains as well as an awesome sound. There are also some other nice sounding systems, just do some research and you will find what you like, but i would def. suggest the mod. Well worth it!

exhaust mod

If you decide to completly change exhaust on your Z I would go with a Flowmaster Force 11 cat back. It's a little louder and has more rumble than the Borla cat back I use to have. It has no resonance, costs about $600.00, fits great and is easy to install. I don't drive my car unless the wheather is purfect so the cheaper material does'nt bother me, It always looks clean and new. 90 ZR1 #2066

Hi bill

It's me jerome how's it going? So you want to make it louder ? but not to loud. I have been down that road and it was not a fun one. I think you are on the right path by take out the resonators but i do think you will get some droning around 1800 rpm. When i did mine i started with pulling the resinator and mullers and putting in flowmasters. Way to loud and to much resonating. Next was
Flows with a resonator still to loud. then was
magna flow with x pipe still to loud. now it with magnaflows and resonator just right. For some reason these motors are very loud.
hope this help

Thanks every one for the input. My son put flowmaster 40s on his Toyota pick up and while sounding nice it’s a little loud for my taste.
Hib that was a good article. Are you now running a 2½” system ? from what I saw on the flowmaster site its either 2½ or 3”. Are the 50 delta flows quieter than the 40s?
Jerome, Good to hear from you, Sounds like you have tried several different things. What were you running at the “Hooters run”. Do you still have the “X” pipe you tried? What size was it?
So many choices – So little knowledge !!! :D

When I first bought my '95 it was so quiet that as I sat in the car letting it warm-up, I thought it wasn't running & hit the key, as it was running. I immediatley went in the house got on-line & ordered the B&B system with the "X"-pipe. I absolutley love the sound-but, I like it louder, I think this would be too loud for you. X-pipe alone on the stock system might be perfect but i would hate to cut-up the stock system. :D

Secrets out !

ßill said:
Thanks every one for the input. My son put flowmaster 40s on his Toyota pick up and while sounding nice it’s a little loud for my taste.
Hib that was a good article. Are you now running a 2½” system ? from what I saw on the flowmaster site its either 2½ or 3”. Are the 50 delta flows quieter than the 40s?
Jerome, Good to hear from you, Sounds like you have tried several different things. What were you running at the “Hooters run”. Do you still have the “X” pipe you tried? What size was it?
So many choices – So little knowledge !!! :D

Hi Bill... Just install that "set" I sold you... then the cats, then the X pipe, keep it 3" to the rear, then the mufflers... My Borlas sound awesome... but probably to loud for you, or somebody you know... :D

Regardless, that "set" will make a significant difference when coupled with the induction work already performed on that car... With a proper tune... I guess a 40 to 50 hp increase will be possible...

Even with stock mufflers, the other changes will increase the volume of sound... dump the resonator unless you have a reason not to...

Lower the number on Flowmasters = louder the sound...

Check out the May issue of Popular Hot Rodding... Hemi on the cover... plenty of exhaust info there... Hopefully, it will not confuse you more, cause it has me scratching my head a bit... dispells a few myths to...

Hibs system looks awesome and well engineered for performance...

ßill said:
Hib that was a good article. Are you now running a 2½” system ?
No.
2 3/4-in.
from what I saw on the flowmaster site its either 2½ or 3”.
Correct
Are the 50 delta flows quieter than the 40s?
Yes. Significantly, quieter in fact, because the 40s are a two-chamber muffler and the 50 deltas are a three-chamber w. Delta-Flow Technology.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom