Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust Replacement

R

rpounds

Took the '75 down to the local muffler guru today. My vette had true duals with 2 1/2" tubes all the way to Flowmasters at the back. However, since this is California and we have extremely strict emissions regulations, I had to put on a Y head pipe into a Catalytic converter back into a Y to the dual Flowmasters. $350 later, it is all taken care of, including a straight through design Cat.

Funny thing is, now it has MORE power than with my original true duals. Yes, it is a little quieter . . . naturally. However, the power increase is not an illusion brought on by less noise. It really does have more low end torque than before the switch.

I haven't really sat down to think about all of the whys and wherefores . . . so maybe someone will chime in here and tell me what you think the difference can be attributed to.

K

KenSny

I've never heard anyone say they have more power with the 2-1-2 and cat system installed after true duals.....

When I pulled off my 2-1-2 system it had an aftermarket cat on it, so it probably wasn't as restrictive as the original. Anyhow, I put on 2-1/2" duals from the OEM manifolds back to the OEM mufflers. When I got it back on the road, it really did perform better, by a lot.....

Maybe something was plugged in your dual system causing it to be more restrictive than it should have been?

BTW: did you re-tune the carb? It will probably need the mixture adjusted to compensate for the new exhaust.

R

rpounds

Ken,

I had the carb re-tuned after installing a cam and intake manifold. My mid-range (1500-3000 RPM) showed a marked improvement over the stock engine. The bog when the secondaries kicked in was completely gone. However, with the high differential ratio (3.08:1) it still left a lot to be desired off idle. It would 'break 'em loose' under full throttle off idle, but it certainly was not a neck snapper. The off idle performance is where the exhaust really seemed to do the trick. The cat that I had installed is a straight through design. From it's appearance, I would really be surprised if it creates much in the way of back pressure. From the cat back, it has all 3" tubing to the Flowmasters. So, I am assuming that the back pressure compared to the 2" duals is not that much different. The rule there would be that when you double the size of a pipe, you increase the flow by a factor of 4. I have read that using a cross over pipe or an 'X' design can actually increase the scavenging of the exhaust system. That may be the case here, considering that the cat is a 2 into 1 design. I suppose that it would work something like a venturi as is commonly used in products that are designed to create vacuum in industrial applications. I'm not absolutely sure what the answer is . . . but I do know that I am enjoying the increased power and response!!

K

KenSny

What brand was the Catalytic converter?

Yes, it's suprising what another 1/2" in dia. will yield in total cross-section area of an exhaust pipe....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom