Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fabricating And Installing An H-Pipe

Last week I decided to fabricate and install an h-pipe on my '71 big block to quiet the exhaust down as well as boost the performance a little. I used my AutoCad program to design the h-pipe with a 3/4" dropped center so I could install it right under/behind my torque converter where it would do the most good because the pressure there is very high.

Attachments

• 1971 Corvette H-Pipe 001 (3).jpg
    1971 Corvette H-Pipe 001 (3).jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 1971 Corvette H-Pipe 003 (2).jpg
    1971 Corvette H-Pipe 003 (2).jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 116
Very nice. How did it change the sound?
Terry

The sound at idle "mellowed" as both of the mufflers are now sharing the exhaust pulses and it's considerably quieter at low cruising speeds. I did it as an experiment just to see what the outcome was and I am pleased with the results. And with it as close to the engine as possible there should be a small performance gain at high rpm's.

Are you running this without the lower bell housing cover?

That looks like a nice fit, do you think it needs deflector to keep heat away from your transmission pan?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Are you running this without the lower bell housing cover?

Yes, the lower cover isn't really a "dust" cover as most people assume but rather it's there for noise reduction. Without that cover my starter is about 3 times as loud. And as far as heat to the oil pan goes the wind at 60 mph easily takes away the heat from the pipe that is only carrying intermittent exhaust pulses.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom