Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fair asking price?

vetteKID

Corvette
74 L-48 coupe & 85 454 coupe
found another one, this time its a 74 4speed, L48, pumkin orange, 56,000 on the clock. the car is in near perfect driver state, driver perfectly, engine sounds and starts great. he has side pipe scirts but rear exiting exhuast and torque flite rims with new BF rubber (has all orginal parts aswell). paint shines, engines clean, interiors clean, and the weather striping is good, i checked the radiator support, and it has a the rust color but no flakes or rough surfaces. he wants 10,000$/OBO and i think its fair, however i do not have 10,000$, i only have 8,000. what do you guys think? should i offer him 8? and see if he bites or not? i really like this car, and if my dad wasnt holding me back it would already been mine.

need opinions!!

i really don't think it would hurt to offer 8k. just be nice and honest about it and say that's all you *can* pay. he probably won't accept right away, but maybe if it's still there in a few weeks he'll change his mind! you never know how bad he might need the money! good luck!

Sounds like LOVE!

Been hard for me to make a good purchase when I was in love, as this sounds. That love can turn quickly, if a smart buy is NOT made. The side skirts(?) bother me, though the mileage is low. $10k seems a bit high, to me, but I've not researched '74s.

Check out other cars and have some options for yourself. Price the car's trade-in value. I'd also look on e-bay and www.traderonline.com to view the alternatives.

Listen to your Dad. He's probably bought and sold a few cars and will help, unless.............

I hope you make a smart purchase.
:w

a suggestion...

...if you offer him $8k, be honest, but...do it in CASH!
Wave that wad of money at him and see what his eyes look like when it goes back in your pocket if he says no.
Heidi

Heidi is right.Cash talks.It worked for me when I purchased my car.

Dave

BURGLAR said:
Heidi is right.Cash talks.It worked for me when I purchased my car.

Dave

That's what I did. I said I only have so much $$, but it's right here in this envelope:D.

Guy

That worked for me too. The old owner of my '78 was asking 4k for it, I got the car for $2500 after waving the money at him. He would have never done it if I had to go and come back with the money. Never give them time to think it over.

well im going to do what you guys say. i got the money trasfered and im going to grab the 8,000 and put it in an envolope and wave it in front of him. if that doesnt work, well im out of options.

I GOT IT!!!! corvette orange stingray, 4 speed, L-48, perfect paint, runs smooth, and hard, i love the car soo much. not oly that but i got torqueflite rims and side pipe skirts for free, too bad i dont have any money or i would make it a side pipe car :-(... ehhh who cares i have a VETTE! and all for 8 grand.

Congratulations!

Iknew you'd get it! Somewhere inside of me, had no doubt!

:w

Whooo-Hoooo!

Did the flashing the cash thing work?
Heidi

ps, congrats!

Enjoy!

Vettekid,

I hope you enjoy your "new" 74 as much as I enjoy my 72!

Now you'll have to get used to people starring as you drive by, and asking "what year is that?."

Sounds like you got a good deal. 74's aren't cheap.

One piece of advice... watch the tranny. Mine ran out of grease and warped the gears and killed the bearings. VERY expensive to fix.

$1,500 rebuild
$900 gears (new old stock)

They don't make the gears anymore!

The whole thing could have be avoided too. If only I knew it was leaking....

Anyhow enjoy the Vette, and don't forget to wave, especially if you see a blue 72. (i'm in Silver Spring)

-Gooney0

Congratulations!

VetteKid,

Congratulations on your '74!! I'm sure you'll love it as much as my husband loves his '74 orange convertible!!

GS Diva aka Elaine

Money Talks

BS... well you know the rest......

So good deal......

Congrats!

Now you have to inspect EVERYTHING.....and make a punch list of the maint issues on the car!

Vig!

Nice job vetteKid. Way to listen to your new "Vette" parents. :D Cash is king in almost everything. Now take your time and prioritize what you NEED to work on vs. what your WANT to work on. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there are no dumb questions. We're all here to help.

74 for $8K....... sweet.

Congrats.............. Nut

heres some pics of the hoopty.

Congrats and Welcome to the club!

This is the place you want to be if you need any help of any kind.

A lot of older folk around here that will watch out for you if you need anything.

Enjoy and let the cruising begin!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom