Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fan Shroud Removal

Tsker79

Corvette
1979 L-82 5 spd, 2000 Torch Red FRC 6spd
Well CAC members, you've helped before, so I know you will be able to help again. I am trying to remove the Fan Shroud in my 79. I've referenced two manuals that I have with no luck. I've removed the fan from the center pulley, the air intake is off, the air cleaner is off, the shroud is unbolted, BUT, I cannot get it to come up and out. I've also disconnected the wiring for the electric fan. Any suggstions definitely will be appreciated.

hmmm, 81 here, may be different

when i removed mine, for some reason, i had to pull the assembly out before the shrould would budge. I don't recall teh reason for this, as its been over a year since i did it.

Make sure you have the bolts on the bottom of the shroud out also.

I also think the bottom of the shroud was catching on the bottom pully. I think i had to take off teh power steering belt.

The shroud is just "flapping" around right now, so I know it is not connected anywhere. It seems to be hung up on the drivers side upper control arm. I am unable to get it to slide to the right to clear the arm.

I think you have to pull the radiator to get room to move the shroud foreward and over the other parts. - Bob

Bob, Thanks. Obviously, that was not the answer I was looking for. I'll have to give that a try. Everything on Corvettes seems to be packaged tightly and therefore it takes alot more effort to work on them. Thanks again.

I don't think you actually have to remove the radiator but simply loosen the bolts that hold it in place and slide the bottom forward giving you enough clearance to get the shroud past the suspension member.

I think Bob is onto something. I recall now that i had to loosen remove the upper radiator hold downs to get it out. That and a good yank.

Thanks to all who have offered their suggestions. I wonder what manual you have to buy to get this information. The two I have sure don't address these problems.

Tsker79 said:
Thanks to all who have offered their suggestions. I wonder what manual you have to buy to get this information. The two I have sure don't address these problems.

I'm not sure about a 79 but on my 71 I had two choices, remove the hood then remove the top two bolts on each side of the radiator support and loosen the bottom bolts on each side and tilt the radiator forward, if you don't have AC you can get to these bolts from the wheel well. Option 2 is to remove the top A arms to get them out of the way. Save and marke the shims for installation when you put it back together.

Good luck. This is a real pain.

Whiplash

79 Chevrolet Corvette Shop Manual,page 6A4-21,step 5 under Engine Assembly Removal. Disconnect radiator and heater hoses and remove radiator and fan shroud.(Note the order of removal) Also page 6B-8 Fan Shroud Removal ,Step 9 - remove radiator.,Step 10 - remove fan ass'y.,Step 11 - remove fan shroud. Recommend you get a factory shop manual they are the best I/M/H/O. - Bob Herr

Bob, I appreciate you taking the time to look up the information in a Chevrolet Shop Manual. Neither one of the manuals that I have is a "Chevrolet" manual. Thanks again for the information. Tom

Bob is correct. I had to remove my radiator in order to get the shroud out of my car. If your car has the original radiator in it, now is a good time to have it flushed out and pressure tested. You may find that you need to replace it as I did, and nows the time to do it. You don't want to have to take it apart twice, it's a real pain in the butt to do.;)

B/T/W while you have the radiator out,check the rubber cushions that go on the top and bottom. They are probably for vibration dampening and if they are old and hard effectivnesss is reduced. There was a guy selling them on ebay for about $15.00. They are not NOS but will work. - Bob Herr

it would also be a good time to put in an electric fan. :jester

No shroud in mine and loving it. the sale of my shroud, clutch fan and auxilarry fan funded about 50% of my flexa-a-lite set up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom