Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finished expanding my garage

M

matchframe

I just finished expanding my garage. I added another 860 square feet. In the addition, I installed a bathroom w/ shower, A 10' x 12' Darkroom for developing photos, a 8' x 10' storeroom and more room for the Vette. Above the Vette I left the ceiling open w/ a loft around the Vette on three sides so I can store all the parts I am not working with at the time for my frame off resto. I painted the floor 2' x 2' B&W checkerboard squares. I used epoxy paint so that it is very tough and can stand the rigors of floor jacks, jackstands cutting torch, and welder. I pulled phone lines so I can access the internet. I also have satellite TV for when the races are on!. Now the parking area for my daily drivers seems like wide open space. :cool

Bill

You may as well rent the house out and live in the garage.

Wow that is nice and bright. It must have taken quite a while to lay out the pattern for the checkered floor. Did you mask it out
and spray or roll the paint? If you masked it, was there a problem with the paint bleeding under the tape?
Thanks,
JS

When I grow up thats the next thing I want. Looks great!:_rock

Coooooooooooooooool!:cool :cool :cool :cool I have garage envy!!!!!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL
John:v

Checkered Floor

After prepping the floor, I roller painted 2 coats of 2 part epoxy white. I let that cure for 7 days. Then I taped and masked off for the black squares. This took me about a week during my spare time. When I taped off for the black squares. I made sure that the tape was pressed down hard, so no black paint would seep under. I then roller painted 2 coats of 2 part epoxy black. As the black paint was drying, I pulled the paper and tape off the floor. The paint dried so hard and so fast, that after about an hour, we were walking on it. I then let that cure for 14 days before I started moving things in. The key to making the squares "appear" perfectly square is to make sure all corners of the squares are touching. My wife and neighbors thought I was crazy when I was taping for the black squares, but after I pulled the tape and paper off the floor, they all thought it looked pretty nice. During the construction, one of my neighbors commented to me, "Looks to me like you are building your 'Dog House.'"

Bill

Darkroom

Yes, the darkroom ifs definately a hobby I have been involved in for the last thirty years. Back in the black&white days when I was in school, I was facinated with the whole photographic process. Over the years, I collected different pieces of lab equipment. I finally took the plunge and built a real darkroom mainly because I wanted to teach my kids the art before the chemical photo lab was totally gone due to computer generated photography. Its also a good place to escape the world for a while and crank-up 60's style music. Needless to say, my favorite subject to work with is the Corvette. There are so many ways to make a C3 Shark look cool. :cool

Bill

Takes me back a LOT of years :eek ; when I was in high school, I was the yearbook photographer (1958) and had use of the school cameras and darkroom full-time. Had a Leica, a Rollei and two Speed Graphics (2-1/4x3-1/4 and 4x5), a Linhof Super Technica 4x5, several Beseler enlargers, print dryers, and all the D-76 and Hypo I could stand. Even processed my own Ektachrome slides back then, used a LOT of sheet film; still have a bag of Nikons and lenses in the closet I haven't used in years. :beer

I don't want to make this a photo forum, but it is sure good to hear from someone who has spent time in a darkroom! You should get those Nikons out of the closet & put them to use. They are alot of fun! I use a Nikon F4 with Nikkor lenses. I had several more Nikons, but somebody thought they needed them worse than I did for Pawn Shop money. Oh well, such is life! I now have 2 Beseler enlargers - 23C and a 45M. And a commercial print-dryer made by Arkay. Chemicles are hard to come by these days, mostly through the internet from England. Paper, sad to say, come from Japan. Anyway, good to hear from you! :cool

Bill

matchframe, your garage is something I'm working on at my house, yours sure looks nice. You would have gotten a real eye full if you had seen the cameras that came out of our agency 2 yrs ago. We used to make maps and that requires large focule length cameras. Large enough to be hauled out on a flat bed trailer, gone forever. Even the Smithonian couldn't take one.

We lived for many years on Edwards Air Force Base in California when I was young. My Dad was involved in a program called "Skunk Works" that involved high altitude photography. That is what sparked my interest in photography. When we were assigned to NASA in Houston, I was able to see alot satellite imaging when my Dad was involved with "Earth Resources." It is a shame that when technology advances, we just throw away the outdated equipment. I would love to have seen the cameras that your agency got rid of.

Bill

Very nice - wish I had room to do something like that ..

Hey Bob, You do realize that the last post to this thread was eleven years ago? :chuckle And the original poster isn't even a member anymore? It's OK though, but I wouldn't expect any pictures. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom