Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fire extinguishers?

C

C3RVETTE

In my Vette, I carry a Halotron chromed 2.5lb extinguisher,in a mount attached to the front of passenger seat. I wanted to use one thats works well,with the minimum corrosive collateral damage from its contents. Halotron 1 seems to be the best choice to keep from causing damage not fire-related. I'm using the Amerex brand. Heres what I found on the Halotron agent-> Quote:

Halotron 1
is a proven clean fire extinguishing agent designed for streaming applications in portable and handheld fire extinguishers.
It is the world’s most widely distributed halocarbon-based clean fire extinguishing agent for such applications. Halotron I has shown, by way of repeated successful extinguishment of real-world fires, that it can quickly and effectively protect valuable assets without generating an undesirable solid residue during the fire-extinguishment process.

It is common for users of fire extinguishers to have limited experience in their operation, and an independent study showed that Halotron I is easier to use for such relatively inexperienced users than other halocarbon clean agents. Halotron I is a safe, effective, environmentally acceptable chemical blend based on the raw material HCFC-123. It was originally introduced in 1992 to replace severe ozone depleting halon 1211, or bromochlorodifluoromethane (BCF).

Halotron I is discharged as a rapidly evaporating liquid, with a throw length of 6 to 45 feet (1.8 to 13.7 meters). Its relatively high boiling point of 80.6°F (27°C) gives it an advantage over other clean extinguishing agents, which tend to have lower boiling points and therefore evaporate sooner, limiting their throw length and overall effectiveness to the non-expert firefighter.
Also, unlike traditional dry chemical agents such as monoammonium phosphate (ABC Dry Chemical) or potassium bicarbonate (Purple K), which can be corrosive, Halotron I is a clean agent that leaves no residue after application, and consequently inflicts little to no collateral damage on equipment in the vicinity of the fire.

Halotron I is approved as environmentally acceptable under the U.S.
EPA’s SNAP program and has undergone the most extensive testing of any halogenated clean agent for portable fire extinguishers since 1992. There are more than 30 separate UL listings for Halotron I portable extinguishers, which is more than twice the number available with any other halocarbon-based clean agent.

So...how many of you guys carry extinguishers in your cars? I'd like to put them in 2 other cars as well

I have Halotron extinguishers in all of my cars, and two Halon-1211 extinguishers in my garage (all from Amerex).

:beer

I have Halotron extinguishers in all of my cars, and two Halon-1211 extinguishers in my garage (all from Amerex).

:beer
:thumb I've got ABC's in my garage,kitchen & laundryroom.Like to get at least 3 more Halotrons,though

DOES ANYONE! have a good source for 10-15 lb CO2 fire extinguishers, for shop use!
the place I used to deal with is gone.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom