Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First Drive in the 1963 SWC

61 Silver

Corvette
1961 270HP and 1963 340HP
Took the 63 out for a short test drive this evening after 1 1/2 years of restoration. Everything went well for the first drive, but it would not start after setting for about 1/2 hour. I believe that I burnt the points. I am using an original .3-OHM Delco resistor. I had the same problem with the 61 and ended up using a higher resistance resistor and it solved the problem. Now to secure a new resistor and install the new points.

Ray

Congratulations on the drive, Ray. :upthumbs

Did you leave the key in the on position in the ignition switch? This might have burned your point since when the are closed the circuit through the resistor and coil in drawing current all the time. You should always switch the key to the off position when the car is not running!

greetings,
Rob.

Rob Musquetier said:
Did you leave the key in the on position in the ignition switch? This might have burned your point since when the are closed the circuit through the resistor and coil in drawing current all the time. You should always switch the key to the off position when the car is not running!

greetings,
Rob.

Hi! Rob

The ignition was in the off. I had the same problem with the 61 270HP with dual points. GM used the lower OHM resistor with the high performance engines and these engines were prone to burning points. The coil and resistor were to be matched. I am currently using a Blue Streak coil and I am not sure of the value. I hope to solve the problem soon.

Ray

67HEAVEN said:
Congratulations on the drive, Ray. :upthumbs

Thanks! Haven

Hope to have some pictures up-loaded in a few days.

Ray

Hi Ray,
Congrats on the first test drive! I was just thinking about you and the 63 and thought a test drive was due soon. Looking forward to the pictures. I'm sure you'll solve the resistor problem quickly. I know you did a high quality job in that short 1 1/2 year resto. It pays to be organized. ENJOY!

Gary

Ray, switch to the higher-resistance resistor used after '63 (to improve point life) - the Paragon $20.00 repro is 1.8-2.2 ohms and works great. :)

1st drive

Hello Ray
Congratualations on your first drive. There is always some bugs to work out on a new car, but it sounds like you have done very well with yours
Very impressive. I remember when you started it....mine isn't done (yet)
take care
Tom

Hey Ray,

Aside for the issues you had, did you drive it enough to determine if the rear window split really bothers you. It did not me at all, matter of fact I was more concerned about having no passenger side mirror....wondering minds would like to know...

EBVette said:
Hey Ray,

Aside for the issues you had, did you drive it enough to determine if the rear window split really bothers you. It did not me at all, matter of fact I was more concerned about having no passenger side mirror....wondering minds would like to know...

Hi! Collin

The weather here is been lousy as best, so I only drove the 63 a couple miles and really do not have a good feel for it yet. I had to trailer it to the inspection station today, we had severe thunder storms and even had a tornado touch down in the general area. I do like the 340HP with the 3:55 gears. I do not know if it is the split window or just the coupe in general, but it will take a while to get use to backing it out of the barn. The barn is two bays deep with two set of 8' door openings and there seems to be blind spots. I hope to put some miles on it tomorrow and will post let you know how things go.

Ray

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom