Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First electrical service estimate...

jmh63

First estimate Saturday was for $6,870.00 for upgrading the electrical service that I have now. New service will handle the garage, woodshop, addition and the current house. 500 Amp total service, 300 Amp for garage & woodshop, 200 Amp for the rest of the building. Still need to another electrical and HVAC estimates this week.

Looks like the lift will have to wait.

Keep in mind that you do not have to supply service to equal all the breakers that are installed in your panel. You can size your panel based upon connected load, and you can make some assumptions based upon the profile of the equipment or actually survey the actual use. You could for example assume that the electric furnace and the air conditioner would never run at the same time and you would not need to size the panel for both loads. The more retentive you get about circuiting a house or shop, the greater the diversity factor and the more you can undersize the service without affecting reliability. If you were to check my breaker panel you would find over 400 amps of branch circuit breakers installed in a 200 amp service, but the peak load of my panel seldom is over 100 amps! I have many lighting circuits and general purpose circuits that have little or no load on them. I would get an electrician that is willing to analyze your loads properly before shelling out big bucks for a service that is way too big. To give you an idea, I feed a 3600 sqft house and over 1800 sqft of air conditioned shop with welder, Air compressor, and all the normal tools that are associated with such a shop and feed the entire setup with a single 200 amp service! I do have natural gas for all water heaters, furnace and dryer, but this is still a lot of circuits.
Regards, John McGraw

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom