Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Fitting a retro-roller cam assembly to a pre-roller Crossfire L83

AussieCorvetteNut

Corvette
1984 Two-tone Blue Coupe
Hi Guys,

I am in the middle of planning for an engine rebuild.

I am upgrading my Crossfire Injection to a Tuned Port System (probably MAF at this stage).

I am also upgrading the heads to suit a retro-roller cam, lifters and roller rockers.

At this stage, I intend to re-use my matching numbers 2 bolt main block and the crank. If the block has issues, I will get another block, or if the crank has issues, then I am looking at a stroker crank.
I don't want to get into the debate of 2 bolt vs 4 bolt or stroking a 2 bolt block, the blocks in the early days were stroked with no problem, no such thing as a 4 bolt back in the day!

Ok, I am trying to research the best combos here and am keen on the Comp Cams retro roller cams:
# 12-464-8
# 12-465-8
# 12-466-8
# 12-467-8 and #12-468-8 look a little large!

Comp Cams have a complete kit that includes valve springs, retainers, cam, roller lifters, push rods etc.

I am also looking at a set of Edelbrock heads, 60995 (or core 60649 if I can get them).
These heads (60995) have roller cam hardware, but I am concerned with the valve springs.
Comp Cams supplies the ones they recommend in their K Kit, Edelbrock's springs are different...not sure.

Just need a little help and another set of eyes.

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

You can modify the existing block to accept the "spider" brackets used on the stock GM roller blocks. This will keep roller lifters from spinning. Just drill and tap a few bolt holes that hold the brackets in place. When I did my roller cam in the Xfire motor, I used the Comp Cams roller lifters with the tie-bar. ;)

That might save quite a few dollars

Tony,

You can modify the existing block to accept the "spider" brackets used on the stock GM roller blocks. This will keep roller lifters from spinning. Just drill and tap a few bolt holes that hold the brackets in place. When I did my roller cam in the Xfire motor, I used the Comp Cams roller lifters with the tie-bar. ;)

Thanks xfirez51,

I will check this out, the retro roller lifters are quite expensive, the rollers and lifters are around $1500 here in Australia.
The could save me some dollars in using the stock roller hardware from 85 and up.

Much appreciated.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom